In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt New Army 32-20 Box Date Info

wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 280 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Found this box and was told extremely rare. Info in Blue Book kind of confusing to me. Is this 1905-1907 era? Think I might even have a couple of these revolvers but they don't say New Army. Do some revolvers say New Army or what? Would appreciate any information you might have for me on the box and/or revolver.
Thanks

IMG_78691.JPG
IMG_7866.JPG
IMG_7867.JPG
IMG_78681.JPG
IMG_7870.JPG
IMG_7871.JPG

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting box. Flayderman's Guide, shows that the "New Army and Navy Revolvers", were made as late as 1907. With the approximate ending serial number, of 291,000.

But not for the 32-20 cartridge. Only 3 he lists are, 38 Colt, 41 Colt and .38 S & W.

If 281,696 was the serial number of the revolver in the box? And the box is authentic? It probably would be very desirable to a Colt revolver collector.

The late Norm Flayderman, was a very knowledgeable on old Colt revolvers. I guess this one, (32-20 New Army), just slipped through the cracks. To bad you don't have the revolver.

EDIT #1,

This is one off the net. There not marked "New Army". You can identify them, from patent dates on barrel. Short flutes and double locking notches on cylinder.

GBR125A-G-F1-H.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe this to be the 1892 New Army & Navy civilian model which came in a few calibers; 32-20 being one.
    It is the only Colt double action between the 1877 Lightning/Thunder and the New Service revolvers