In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 Super Value

je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can you help me out wholesale value on 38 Super I have to value in my father's estate.
Serial Number (128??) indicates that it is 1932. It has a lot of staining on slide and what appears to be holster wear, but no rust or pitting and I think it has only had a few boxes put thru it.
Below are links to photos of each side, thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BytXTF0dR4ueR2FKc0FoZmxZUmc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BytXTF0dR4ueRGFsOHVJUVpiSkE

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    These Pre war 38 Supers are highly sort after In original condition

The problem with your pistol mainly looks to be on one side of the slide DO NOT LET SOMEONE CONVINCE YOU TO HAVE IT REFINISHED
    yes it has lost as much as 50% of it's value because of the damage to the finish but still worth twice as much as one that has been refinished There are maybe 2 or three people that could restore your pistol but the cost or restoration would be more than the cost to have this done. Leave as is
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cosmetics are a major factor in valuation, for a Colt like yours. It looks to me that what you call staining. Is somebody's long ago attempt to cover up the blue loss. Using Copper Nitrate or something similar.

Unfortunately because of the above. Only way your going to be able to sell it, for anything other than a shooter. If it is bought for restoration.

As Karl notes they are a quite valuable, if original and in at least VG condition.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For estate purposes, the value of the gun pictured would be $250.

Neal
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for estate value, I would put it between 300-400 to be fair to all parties. don't try to refinish.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input I knew they were valuable in original condition but didn't know about value in this condition. I am going to keep it either way since it was my grandfathers and later my fathers but needed value to report to estate.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes looks like a nice shooter to me. The 38 Super is way more fun than a the 38ACP. Sorry for your loss. Priceless family heirloom. $250 to 500.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For MY dad's estate settlement the value of such a gun would be $200.