In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 550 ,22 Cal Rifle

Dairyland manDairyland man Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I have a Remington Model 550 ,Tube Load, .22 Cal, Semi-automatic Rifle I'd like to get some Info On.

#1. Can it be fired Semi-Auto on Short, Long & Long Rifle Cartridges ??
#2 There are no Serial numbers on it.
The initials : D L and the symbol of a Ships Anchor are stamped on the Barrel.

It does Not have the metal Shell Deflector I've seen on other Model 550.

Since it looks quite Old, I'd appreciate any info on it

Thanks, Dairyland Man

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington date code, D = September; L = 1942 or 1964.
    A 550A made in 1942 without shell deflector (or screw holes to attach one) is a 100% premium in Blue Book.

They don't say anything about a 550-1 made in 1964 with or without deflector.

Neither was required to have a serial number, being made before GCA 1968 but I don't know if Remington had started applying one anyhow by 1964.

The 550A has two extractors, the 550-1 has only one.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IT should fire all three in semi auto mode
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will fire all 3 semi-auto (good luck finding longs however) IF the floating chamber parts are free to move in the receiver.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    If it's clean and well lubed, it will also fire CB caps semiauto. Out of all the .22's that ever came in the pawnshop, THAT is the one I kept and still shoot regularly above all others.
  • Options
    Dairyland manDairyland man Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS guys for All the Info !

Looks like I'd better Keep this One !!!

Dairyland Man
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The durned things are addictive- I have four of the 550-1s. The secret is the "floating chamber". Mine will run CCI CB Longs semi auto, just as quiet as a suppressor.

Please note- under NO circumstances attempt take the trigger group apart. EVER. Especially the bit that looks like the had of a screw on the underside of the trigger group. If it REALLY needs cleaning, take the thing outside, and use a can of GunScrubber spray- while it is still assembled.

The average hobbyist does not have an adequate grasp of profanity to put one back together. Just trust me on this- OK?