In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus Magazines to hard to load

o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
9MM Mileneum
If you trim the spring does it matter??

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure that with a Taurus, if it would make it less reliable, or not. Your chances with a bone stock one are 50/50 of it going off when you want it to. Best thing to do is get rid of it and get something like a Kahr CW-9, S&W Shield, or Ruger LCR.

Tell your friends at the range the same thing. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a speed loader like this. A number of different companies make them.

The simplest ones, have a metal "finger" that pushes down on the base of a cartridge. So another one can be easily loaded.

41cb7J%2BkUYL.jpg
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Get a speed loader like this. A number of different companies make them.

The simplest ones, have a metal "finger" that pushes down on the base of a cartridge. So another one can be easily loaded.

41cb7J%2BkUYL.jpg

Yep, get an Uplula loader.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan
    9MM Mileneum

YES [^] it will matter in the feeding of the gun [:0]
    The spring is designed to feed at a tension that feeds all the cartridges in the mag. You go cutting the spring and the few top rounds might feed OK but the bottom ones will not have enough tension to feed [B)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan
    9MM Mileneum

I suppose its a question of how much you trim it, but at some point reducing the "K" (necessary compression force) of the spring is going to compromise reliability of that magazine.

At what point? I don't know, and I don't want to find out. Maybe this happens BEFORE the mag becomes easier to load.

Assuming this is a gun you're carrying for self-defense and trusting your life to, yes, I think that probably matters.

I have two suggestions

First, brand new stiff magazines *may* break in a little with use. Can't hurt to try loading and unloading it a dozen times or so to see if that helps.

Second (and more important) maybe I have stronger thumbs than most, but I've never met a semi-auto pistol magazine I couldn't load by grabbing the magazine body in my left hand, pushing the base of the round down into the magazine with my RIGHT thumb, then pushing on top of my right thumb with my LEFT thumb to help depress the mag follower and slide the round into place.

Basically, this combines the strength of the right forearm (onto the right thumb) plus the grip strength of the left hand (onto the left thumb) to load the rounds. It makes it MUCH easier than using just one thumb to push them in.

Try it. . .maybe this will work for you.

Edit:
    You're welcome.

Edit #2:
    HeDog:Good Tip Beantown, I still like the Uplula better though.

Uplula is great, and makes loading a snap, certainly less effort than thumbs. Although I personally get by fine without one, I've got nothing against them. I say if you like it, use it. Maybe I'd be more inclined to use something like this if I were loading 30+ mags a day!

On the other hand (see what I did there [;)]) thumbs are free, and you always have them with you.

So even if you like one of these mechanical loading assisting devices, IMO its still a good idea to know how to load your stiff magazine without one, just in case the day comes when you have to.

And by the way, the above "thumb on thumb" is just a technique I came up with that works for me (though I can't possibly be the only one who does it that way). I'd imagine there are other specific techniques or tricks you can use to load stiff magazines. The main point is to try to use more than just the force of one thumb to load the mags, that's all.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like this^^^^^^

I tried it and worked much better than one hand pushing the round in. I still like using a loader but don't always have one with me.

Thank you!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Tip Beantown, I still like the Uplula better though.[:D]