In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

P64 safety lever issues

JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just shot this little monster.

I had replaced the stock hammer spring with a lighter hammer spring (I can't recall as I write this if it was the lightest or second lightest that I used that Wolff had to offer).

As an aside, the recoil was punishing, to say the least, so I am thinking that a wrap on the grip is needed. What the masses say abut this gun is definitely true in that respect.

But more to the point, both my friend and I experienced the safety lever being switched on during our shooting session. Neither one of us can say that we felt our hand hitting it or contacting the safety. It happened once to me, and once to him, during the course of 50 rounds being shot.

Shooting Winchester white box 9x18.

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall? The safety on the 64 has to be pulled down to the vertical to be safe. When it's in the Horizontal position, with the red mark showing it's in the firing mode.

If this is correct? Inertia might be your problem? Take the slide apart. To see what kind of spring is used, to tension the manual safety.If you can't get a replacement? Try stretching or bending it slightly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is very much like a Walther PP. As I do more research, it seems that the problem may be a weak safety detent plunger spring, or that the plunger itself may have lost its point. As I checked things more thoroughly, but without a complete disassembly, the detent plunger looks good. It may well be that either the spring is weak, or that the detent on the safety itself is somewhat peened out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is very much like a Walther PP. As I do more research, it seems that the problem may be a weak safety detent plunger spring, or that the plunger itself may have lost its point. As I checked things more thoroughly, but without a complete disassembly, the detent plunger looks good. It may well be that either the spring is weak, or that the detent on the safety itself is somewhat peened out.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right on track. Replace the spring.
    I too own a P64 and you are spot on about the nasty recoil. Hurts the web of my hand more than any handgun I own to include a SW 500.
    I shoot the 64 with gloves, I remove gloves to shoot the 500.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    WOW I just purchased one never dreamed it had high recoil I thought it might be a good TRUCK gun but may have to shoot it to find out I really like the locked breach of a Remington P51 for light recoil but Too nice to either carry or truck gun . I have never liked SUB compact PLASTIC pistols for that same recoil problem . Can I ask why did you replace the hammer spring [?] Maybe this contributes to more felt recoil as if it takes more of the recoil impulse to cock hammer this may reduce the felt recoil to the palm of your hand The double action trigger pull is very heavy but once the hammer is cocked single action trigger pull is very light
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I replaced it because otherwise the double action pull is atrocious. I am thinking about putting a sleeve on it, just to take a little bit more of the sting out. I don't want to mess with the recoil spring, because it feeds and cycled perfectly.