In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Avoiding "Straw man" from a different angle.

sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Thought I would bid on a gun in the auctions, which is located over in Alabama. Have a friend that lives 30 miles from the seller and is coming down this way for bike week. Is there any way I can buy the gun and have him pick it up to save the shipping and transfer fees? I don't mind doing any paperwork for the gun, just don't know what it will take to complete this, should I be the lucky winner. A 500 trip to get it each way isn't worth it, and my favorite gun shop just closed so I will have to find a new FFL dealer to ship it to.
Thanks, David from jax

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Strawman or not, because you live in Florida and the friend and the gun are both in Alabama, the answer is an automatic NO. In any case, since he is not the actual buyer of the gun in Alabama (you have paid and he is taking delivery on your behalf) it is a straw purchase from the get-go.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark (as usual) nailed it. Transferring ownership of a gun to a resident of another state requires a FFL make the transfer.

In addition, if the gun in question is a handgun, you may not take delivery in a state other than your state of residence. Buy a handgun from a dealer in another state, it MUST come to a dealer in your state for transfer to you.

Only exception is inheritance.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the GB dealer list. There's a pawn shop in Ulee. What's that, 10-15 minutes from you?

Do everything related to firearms the legal way; you will be able to sleep well at night.

Neal

EDIT: Yes, a long gun may be transferred to you directly by an FFL in another state (state/local law in both locations permitting). However, you must appear before the FFL at his place of business.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Check the GB dealer list. There's a pawn shop in Ulee. What's that, 10-15 minutes from you?

Do everything related to firearms the legal way; you will be able to sleep well at night.

Neal

There are several around me, but I just started working on the other side of the river, and most of the smaller ones that I like to frequent are closed by the time I get back to my side of town.
    Yulee is about 45 minutes or an hour from me, but thank-you!
    I will absolutely do things the legal way, which is why I asked for guidance from you Gentlemen, and thanks. The item in question is not a handgun, but I will probably just have it shipped.
    Thanks ALL,
    David from jax
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You say it's not a handgun. Many states allow long guns to be transferred to adjacent states. AL and FL may allow this.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maalox- you are correct- IF he appears at the dealer's licensed premises in that other state.