In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new vs old Winchester Model 70s

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Are the Newer Model 70s with the pre 64 style extractor as good as the Pre 64s?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the classic 1990s M70 with the Mauser 98 extractor, not to be confused with the pre-64 M70, stainless chamber in Win 270 with 24 inch barrel; and compared to the pre-64 M70, I found it is a better functioning, safer (i.e., had a pre-64 M70 30'06 featherweight rifle fire prematurely when the bolt was closed), and consistently more accurate rifle.
  • Options
    riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got both. Both "featherweight"; older one in 30-06, newer in 308 Winchester. I hate to but have got to agree with spirits. Newer one groups better and has a very good fit / finish. If you're looking I wouldn't hesitate to buy a anewer one.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The latest models that are being produced are excellent in fit and finish and they shoot great. Far superior to anything made by Remington at this moment. Just my opinion. But I do still love my pre 64's.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with the consensus. The new models are being produced to tighter tolerances, and have better function, and accuracy, as a whole. I dislike the new trigger system, and prefer the old.

That said, spirits(i.e., had a pre-64 M70 30'06 featherweight rifle fire prematurely when the bolt was closed), that is most likely why your Pre-64 fires prematurely. The trigger needs to be adjusted, and/or the bolt cleaned.
  • Options
    Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it