In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fred Routledge's Ithaca Shotgun

Benny_48162Benny_48162 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am in possession of an Ithaca 12 GA shotgun which was owned by a somewhat famous trapshooter from Monroe, MI, and also a manufacturer of the "mosquito" trap throwers. He also held the patent on a smooth bore .22 rifle manufactured by Remington which bore his name "Routledge" on the barrel.
I'm wondering if this is something which would be of interest to any collectors, as I'm considering selling it. I have owned this shotgun for approximately 35 years.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good story, got any proof. Provenance is worth something. So how many did he own? Is yours like 1 of a couple 100's.

So is it like a Sousa grade?

added Sounds like your best bet is the tax write off donation. Values there are often lenient and seldom questioned if within reason such as perhaps 3 times the value of the same item not allegedly owned by a famous person.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'll parrot Charlie (I'm not ashamed to do it) and ask the same questions: What documentation do you have? what model shotgun is it? and how many shotguns did the man own?

The Routledge smoothbore "rifles" from Remington and Winchester are of considerable collector interest and we've had a number of threads on them over the years. While a Winchester smoothbore or a 510 Remington which was owned by the man who held the patent would no doubt be of considerable collector interest, whether or not an Ithaca shotgun which was owned by the same man is worth any huge premium remains to be seen. If it is a run of the mill 51A Featherlight Standard without the vent-rib, I doubt it is worth more than $300 NIB no matter who owned it.
  • ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best person to get ahold of is Walt Snyder. PM me and I will get you to the right place. Funny I was born in Monroe at Mercy hospital.
  • Benny_48162Benny_48162 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I'll parrot Charlie (I'm not ashamed to do it) and ask the same questions: What documentation do you have? what model shotgun is it? and how many shotguns did the man own?

The Routledge smoothbore "rifles" from Remington and Winchester are of considerable collector interest and we've had a number of threads on them over the years. While a Winchester smoothbore or a 510 Remington which was owned by the man who held the patent would no doubt be of considerable collector interest, whether or not an Ithaca shotgun which was owned by the same man is worth any huge premium remains to be seen. If it is a run of the mill 51A Featherlight Standard without the vent-rib, I doubt it is worth more than $300 NIB no matter who owned it.

The only indication is the engraving on the receiver, and that it was bought at auction here in Monroe, MI. I'm not sure if there is another way to document by serial number, or if I can locate a family member who would be interested in owning it. Once I get into my safe, I'll try to snap a few pictures. If unable to document it, I may donate it to the Michigan Trapshooting Assocuation or the ATA. I know that he was a State Champion here in Michigan, so that may be the best option.
    Thanks though!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately without documentation you have gun and a story. Probably true but no proof. It matters because a lot of us have seen more old shotguns or aged shotguns marked 'Wells Fargo' than WF ever owned in all their years.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Unfortunately without documentation you have gun and a story. Probably true but no proof. It matters because a lot of us have seen more old shotguns or aged shotguns marked 'Wells Fargo' than WF ever owned in all their years.

Here are some pictures, with the engraving, but no other documentation. He was a local guy, not that famous, and I doubt it's a fake, but it still shoots well!
    89116E2B-E328-48E1-AB23-EFB95A94B1F1.jpg

6958F5ED-CA78-4C82-8BA9-488626188796.jpg

8FC03923-F368-4486-BF5A-AFF6E5367081.jpg
  • ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a standard grade 4 SBT. Get ahold of the guy I told you about he will tell you just how it left the factory and any special engraving and maybe who ordered it. I would say it was his gun for sure. Most people are not going to put someone elses name on their gun whether he used it in competition is another story. The other guy I mentioned will be able to confirm that for you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ithaca4me
    Looks like a standard grade 4 SBT. Get ahold of the guy I told you about he will tell you just how it left the factory and any special engraving and maybe who ordered it. I would say it was his gun for sure. Most people are not going to put someone elses name on their gun whether he used it in competition is another story. The other guy I mentioned will be able to confirm that for you.

Thanks so much! I posted on the other site, and am hopeful for a reply as soon as they make the post public.