In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 1907 hard to operate

dorseydorsey Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
My 1907 is the 1907-17 Modification 1, serial number 173384, which I bought a year ago. The finish is a beautiful high polish blue, like new except on a few high spots - no flaking or freckling at all. Hard rubber grips barely worn, perfect bore, original mag, and the barrel has a blued loaded chamber indicator rather than the more common polished version. I mention all this because I think that this gun was hardly used and not abused.

I love the gun, except that it's very difficult to operate - impossible to cock using the slide alone, and the cocking lever is extremely difficult to operate. After coking it once or twice, the skin on my thumb is too sore to continue. Also, the slide won't stay open using the safety as I've seen on several videos. I would like to disassemble it for inspection and a good cleaning/lubrication, but that's impossible.

Is there something wrong with this gun? Or, am I missing something? I can't imagine anyone with weak hands using this gun at all.

I bought this because I loved the look of it, the finish is gorgeous, all the parts are there, and the price was right. Now, I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Thanks for any information or suggestions anyone can provide.
Dorsey

Comments