In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 70 22-250??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
LGS has a nice model 70 varmint in 22-250 for sale. Decided to do a little research and see what they've been bringing. Did a check on the current side and there are 2, and a completed search only brought up 77 of them total ( I entered model 70 22-250, not just varmint) I'd think that I'd have seen more in my searches, but no. Why do they seem so rare in any variation of a model 70?

Todd

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    MIGHT very well be that those that have them Don't want to ever sell because they would be so hard to replace
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, It would help to know which model of the Model 70 Varmint you are looking at. The last model was the Heavy Varmint which had a blued receiver and a stainless barrel that was fluted or not. They had an H-S Precision stock and were marked Heavy Varmint on the right side of the barrel. The preceding model was the XTR which had a heavier blued barrel and action and had a sporter style stock with a black pistol grip cap and forearm cap. There was one earlier version of the post 64's that was similar to the XTR, but without the grip cap and forearm cap. On the back of the bolt was a cap held on by a cross pin. In my opinion this was the least valuable of the three and the ugliest. I think the Heavy Varmint models are the best. Every one of mine are very accurate. Depending on condition, I think a fair value would be from $600.00 to $950.00 for NIB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost forgot, some of the last Heavy Varmints were all matte blue.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Todd,
    Model 70 Varmints are pretty scarce, especially older series. As has been stated, folks that have them tend to hang onto them.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the answer guys. However, it wasn't just the lack of varmint model 70's, but any model 70 in 22-250. I just did a current search on the auction side and there are only 2 that come up total.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sir, type in Winchester 70 22-250. There are 15 rifles showing at the present time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 25-06
    Sir, type in Winchester 70 22-250. There are 15 rifles showing at the present time.

That's odd, I just checked again and when I searched in "bolt-rifles" I entered "Winchester model 70 22-250" and only came up with 3. Leaving out the word "model" reduces the search results from 16 to 3. Either way it just seems odd that there are that few of them. When you enter "Remington 700" there are almost 100 of them. Oh well, I got mine so who cares[^]Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Look under the category rifles, not bolt rifles.