In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

serial number on a winchester rifle

bigwilliebigwillie Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
in 1985 i bought for myself as a christmas present a very old winchester 22. it is a model 60 and fires shorts longs and long rifle. but on the barrel there is no serial # . is there a way that i can find out the age of the rifle? It is easily the most accurate rifle i have ever fired with a very light trigger pull. did winchester not always make serial #? where else might the # be? thanks for your help. willie

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe the Model 60 was ever serialized.
    They were only made for a short number of years starting in I believe 1932. Somewhere around 150,000-175,000 were produced if my memory is correct.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several for sale on the auction side. 1930 or so.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the few models Winchester didn't serial number. Made 1931-1934, with a total production of 165,754 made.
  • Options
    bigwilliebigwillie Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for your help, at leasti know it is an oldie. it is a single shot ,bolt action that is still even now very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. for 60.00$ in the 80es i got quite a bargain. again thanks for the replys. The people on this board are so well informed I was offered 50 bucks so i now know what to tell the clerk at the local gun store.