In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US WWll 30-06 ammo

aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
I have a bandolier of WWII 30-06 ammo in M1 Garand clips. Is this ammo corrosive?

On another note was any US produced ammo in WWII corrosive?

Thanks.

Aldo35

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Far as I know. All of the U.S. military ammo made during W W II, had corrosive primers. Except the 30 carbine ammo.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Rufe said up there ^^^. All ammo of all parties in WW2 was corrosive EXCEPT M1 carbine. The gas system of the carbine was not designed to be taken apart by the user, and corrosive ammo would have killed it.

ALL wartime 30-06, 303 Enfield, 8mm Mauser, 6.5 Arisaka and Carcano, 7.65x54R, etc were primed with chlorate (corrosive) primers.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    1954 and on NC
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    1954 and on NC

Didn't Frankford make corrosive 45 auto later than that?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Far as I know. All of the U.S. military ammo made during W W II, had corrosive primers. Except the 30 carbine ammo.

THanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canadian 8mm and 9mm ammo whose headstamps are merely "7.92MM" and "9MM" plus a two-digit date in the first half of the 1940s (made for China, I believe) are both boxer-primed and non-corrosive.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummm.....I believe that the Germans used leadstyphanite (sp?) for their 8mm ammo. That is non-corrosive, however, the powder was corrosive. That's why it is unsafe to shoot old steel cased ammunition loaded by them.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correcting some errors:

1st:
    richarda Junior Member USA 486 Posts
    Posted - 07/17/2017: 10:26:59 AM
    [Canadian 8mm and 9mm ammo whose headstamps are merely "7.92MM" and "9MM" plus a two-digit date in the first half of the 1940s (made for China, I believe) are both boxer-primed and non-corrosive].

The Canadian 8x57mm w/ above headstamp was intended for the Commonwealth-pattern Besa tank LMG. Any alleged wartime Chinese connection is speculation.
    8x57mm ammo manufactured by Olin was supplied to them, but post-war. It was Boxer primed & headstamped w/ Chinese characters.

2nd:
    XXCross Senior Member USA 1241 Posts
    Posted - 07/17/2017: 1:12:31 PM
    [Ummm.....I believe that the Germans used leadstyphanite (sp?) for their 8mm ammo. That is non-corrosive, however, the powder was corrosive. That's why it is unsafe to shoot old steel cased ammunition loaded by them].

a) Lead styphnate dates back to the 1920s, but there is no recorded WW2 German use of it for small arms priming compounds.
    b) WW2-era German small arms propellants were not corrosive, but primers were.
    c) Some WW2-era German steel-cased ammo has ruptured upon ignition, but from internal corrosion/propellant degradation/poor storage, not the above BS (WW2 German brass-cased ammo does not suffer from the same faults).