In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

win mod 1892

mikey p.mikey p. Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
My neighbor showed up with a winchester model 1892 with serial number 989217. Average condition for the age. Cal. 44 wcf 15 inch barrel.Any ideas on the year and value.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your very high serial number, would likely date to the 30's. Federal laws regarding barrel length, were changed in the mid 30's. If your 15" barrel, is factory original? It would be considered a "Trappers Model". Making it quite valuable to a collector. And dating it's manufacture, to prior of the implementation of the federal short barrel gun laws. In the mid 30's.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will further add, that your neighbor must contact the BATF and obtain an exemption letter before he can legally sell or transfer it. Until he has the BATF exemption letter in hand, the gun is illegal to sell, and therefore worth 0$.
  • Options
    DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So Bert, Just CLARIFICATION if someone has a rifle that has a bbl that is less than 16 inches is it legal to own but not sell/transfer? I was under the impression that it was not legal to possess such a weapon without an exemption letter.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DEEREHART
    So Bert, Just CLARIFICATION if someone has a rifle that has a bbl that is less than 16 inches is it legal to own but not sell/transfer? I was under the impression that it was not legal to possess such a weapon without an exemption letter.

The BATF allows the owner to ship the gun to their Technical Branch for inspection to clear it (get the NFA exemption letter). If it is deemed original, they will ship it back to the owner with the letter. If the gun is not deemed to be original, it will be confiscated, and more than likely, at least a few pointed questions with be forthcoming. That process implies that you have not committed a crime if the gun is original.
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikey p.
    My neighbor showed up with a winchester model 1892 with serial number 989217. Average condition for the age. Cal. 44 wcf 15 inch barrel.Any ideas on the year and value.

Hello Mikey,

If the rifle is original and in good condition it is potentially worth a few thousand dollars. But it will depend on the originality and then the possession of a BATF exemption letter. I am working on a research survey of the 1892/92 rifles and there are several short barrel rifles with 14 to 16 in barrels in the serial number range of your neighbors. All are saddle ring carbine configurations. Does your rifle have a ring on the left side of the receiver? Is the barrel round? If you will send several photos of the rifle and the stamped writing on the gun I can advise to the originality of the gun. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's not original, keep it well hidden.