In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mauser 98/unertl scope

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
watching ww2 documentary film of D day, noticed a german soldier with a full
length (approx 24 inch ) unertl scope on his shouldered 98 . And he was a german
paratrooper as from his helmut. Strange ?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not familiar with then using Unertl scopes. But know they used all kinds of none German small arms. During the course of the war. There have been a number of books written, about the German's use of captured guns. And all kinds of other military equipment. Some of the rarer ones, have become very expensive collectors items.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes its hard to tell exactly what footage you are watching - lot of re-enactment stuff blended in with actual.

It has been my observation that soldiers that know how to use weapons are allowed to carry what they want. I know I was allowed to have/carry my 700 Varmint Special in 223 Rem because I hated my M-16. The Carl Gustav in 7mm Rem mag was an issue due to lack of ball ammo.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ......well you do know that Unertl was a sniper in the first world war ? FOR GERMANY !
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no this was real german footage probably found years after the war. Having done many
    98 scope jobs myself I found it interesting due to the bolt clearance and safety
    roll over of a mil 98 , which it was , not a custom 98 . It would require 2~3 in of padding on a military 98 stock to
    get your eye in position on a 20x unertl.
  • rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a unertl doesn't need mounted that high to require padding, you slide it forward to work action , then slide it back , I have had many mausers and springfields with unertl's , you can mount then so the bell just clears the handguard
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never thought they would hold zero if slide on mount, but then they did
    move with recoil and return spring. I would not want to get within 500 yds
    of a 8mm 98 Mauser topped with a unertl, if the shooter knows his hold over.
    thanks rusty.