In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any thoughts on the S&W 625 JM .45?

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I am considering a new purchase, just for fun. Not to carry, not to hunt, just to shoot. I am considering the SW 625. I have a couple 1911's and a 1991, so the ammo interchangeability has some appeal. I do not mind the idea of the moon clips
Can anyone offer first hand insight to these pistols? Are they accurate (4' bbl)? Reliable? Do you enjoy shooting it? Would you recommend it.
I know this is a rather vague question, but I am just trying to get some ideas, in addition to what I read on line.
Thanks for any opinions!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If for nothing else at all get it for the "moon clips".

4" barrel worry? Accuracy I'd say it's the same. I mean if you shoot 1911s. Then the only difference is the style of recoil.

Reliable? More than a 1911. If you got a miss fire pull the trigger again until it goes bang. Can't do that with a 1911. Unless you already fired off the 6. Also being able to pop off any old free ammo without worry (or at the very least "a little") is another reason to get that.

Would I recommend it? Sure at the right price. I wouldn't pay the "new" sticker price. Find one that was used once to shoot a cheating husband Hell yes and I wouldn't mind a bit of blood or brain matter [:D].
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Don't have the JM 625 but do have a 3in and 5 inch 625. You just can't beat a big ol N frame Smith! The 5 inch is a tack driver and the snubbie is far more accurate than I am. Your next best investment is going to be a de-mooner device that shucks out at least 2 at a time. (just do a google on de-mooner). They also don't bend the clips like the supplied one. Think no more cut, scratched finger tips. The moon clips are going to be the fastest speed loader you are gonna find.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great guns. But yosh, if you get a missfire on a 1911, just pull the hammer back & pull the trigger again.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be just fine. Tuneable. If you reload ammo then a taper crimp die would be good. The 2 round clips are handier for keeping it topped off - though half moons will work if you pay attention. I liked actual auto-rim brass - less fuss and muss.

added My first good pistol was a 25-5 in 45 Colt. Very good shooting and the best patterning other than a Contender with a choke. Really thin in the bolt notch - not to be hot rodded.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For casual shooting, look for the Rimz plastic clips which are easily loaded and unloaded barehanded. They are not secure enough for duty or competition but are fine for plinking.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one of the original 25's years go. Both in 6" & 4". Had the original 6" replaced by a 4". Didn't make any difference. Still to bulky and heavy, for what it was. Weighed something like 5 ozs more than a 1911.

Got fed up with it. No advantage at all over the 1911 platform. Dumped it on the auction.

The Smith big frame revolvers, are way expensive nowadays. Wouldn't buy one new as a range toy. As a previous poster noted, if only you could get one used at a descent price.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 25 chambered in .45 Colt that is possibly the most accurate revolver I have ever owned or shot and that would be a bunch. I owned a 625 for a while but I don't remember ever shooting it. I am sure they would be great I just prefer the longer cartridge in a revolver.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well go for the Performance Center 929, which is an 8 shot JM inspired 9mm. Has titanium cylinder so not a lot of force is required to rotate the cylinder, and is cut for moon clips, half or full. Really fast loading.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I traded into a heavily modified 1917 S&W that now wears an 8" barrel, and a half hour later acquired a 625 Model of 1989 that has a 5" heavy lugged barrel. Both are more accurate than I can hold. Reliable? They are revolvers....know the malfunction drill for a revolver? PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN! Seriously, they are boringly reliable. Auto Rim ammo can be used when not using clips, or Full, Half, or 1/3 Moon clips are all available. Just get a tool to load and unload the clips, and your fingers will thank you. The clips are cheap enough as well. Full moon clips are just like a speedloader. Check out some of the videos of Jerry Miculick (not sure how to spell it) and how fast he can shoot his 45 ACP revolvers and load them.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 of the Smiths in 45 ACP they are all very accurate from a 1917 to a 325 NG
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wanted a 625-2 Model of 1988 when they came out. Went through a friends shop to get one and ended up with a 625-3 Model of 1989 instead.

Mine has had an action job done to it and I'll put it up against a Performance Center version any day.

One area to watch is the Main Spring strain screw. They are made from stainless steel and can be soft. The original and replacement on mine mushroomed the end that contacts the spring. A cup from a spent large pistol primer solved the issue.

All in all the 625s are fantastic revolvers
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have the 625 yet, but I have a 686 Plus, a 627, and a 929. All use the moon clips.

The first thing I found is loading and unloading without a tool requires superhuman strength and you can bend the clips. So a bought a loading and an unloading tool.

The second thing I found is that using taper crimped aluminum cased ammo in it is a disaster waiting the happen. The crimp is not strong enough to keep the bullets seated. No problems with the 38 or 357's with a roll crimp...yet.

I called Federal about it and they said it was a known issue with the taper crimped ammo.