In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 42 Winchester

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 42 and the serial # on the receiver is 79877.The ring in front of it has 78491 on it.Is this normal or has something been replaced on it?
Also would appreciate it if someone could tell me the year of manufacture.

THANKS in advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i am going to sell a model 42 4-10 pump 3 " full bore 28" barrel serial# 27xxx 95% blueing, bore like new 3 minor dings in wood very nice looking gun. What would a gun like this be worth ball park # will try to post pics.[img][/img]sorry i can get pics to post giving up on that idea sorry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently inherited a mod. 42,full choke that after research found it was made in 1954. The finish and wood I would rate as good plus,however, there is "slop" where the barrel and receiver meet and you can feel play rather than a tight fit. Can this be fixed? And if not, what is the worth of this shotgun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are used barrels for this gun easy to come by.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an early model 42 Winchester that has had restoration work done and I believe it should be a blue finish but it is deep black. Would somebody tell what the color should be? The serial number is 11353
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that all 42s were black oxide.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 42 serial number 11353 was manufactured in September of 1933, which was several years before Winchester began using Du-Lite (black oxide) bluing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert, so you are telling me the gun should be blue rather than the black it is. It is difficult to tell looking on line but it seemed to me that I recalled the old ones being more of a blue than black. I have another 42 but it is a much later production gun and it is black.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dodge69
    Bert, so you are telling me the gun should be blue rather than the black it is. It is difficult to tell looking on line but it seemed to me that I recalled the old ones being more of a blue than black. I have another 42 but it is a much later production gun and it is black.

Yes, that is what I am telling you.