In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1st Model Engraved Burnside Carbine

OTHREETACTICALOTHREETACTICAL Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased an engraved 1st model 54 caliber Burnside carbine. S/N is 169. Research so far tells me there were only 250 to 300 First Model Burnsides manufactured, and only two surviving engraved 1st editions are known to exist. Supposedly this rifle (s/n 169) and one more bearing S/N 214. Other than knowing it was obtained from the Estate of Lewis & Leyton Yearout, I can find no information on any factory engraved 1st models, or documentation of anyone reporting giving or receiving one as a gift. Is there any ClVlL war experts here with a direction I can go from here for more information or history on this rifle?

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew both Yearouts. They were not above "enhancing" firearms. They had an expert gunsmith that could reproduce and enhance guns that would be hard to tell from originals. All these folks have passed away now. I do hope you can authenticate your purchase.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well at least a pre war one had a chance to be engraved for perhaps a salesman sample.

Lot of fake or enhanced stuff out there.

I found it interesting that sideburns and hooker's were named after the War of Northern Aggression generals.

added Can you post some good pic's. I shot a few rounds in a 5th model many years ago. The bullet mold was from Dixie.

added 2 Thanks BigLoop22. Looks like a salesman sample dress up to me, I would expect a presentation to be fancier.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely made in 1857? Without substantiated provenance, for the last 160 years. Other than being the property of a couple of guys, who were noted for "enhancing" stuff. Not promising.

The engraving would be the only way at all, you could possibly identify and date it. There are folks out there, who specialize in 19th Century engraved guns. There have been books written about these engravers, and their work. Contact some of the auctions who handle antique guns. They might know knowledgeable guys, who could verify/identify 19th Century engravers/engraving.
  • OTHREETACTICALOTHREETACTICAL Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    I knew both Yearouts. They were not above "enhancing" firearms. They had an expert gunsmith that could reproduce and enhance guns that would be hard to tell from originals. All these folks have passed away now. I do hope you can authenticate your purchase.

The information came from James D Julia Auctions. See JAMESDJULIA.COM for photographs. Just search Burnsides. I am awaiting more information for the other rifle, but have heard there was a guy at the Denver gun show that did a presentation of one of these engraved Burnsides with the same engraving. The Burnside rifle, although third most popular gun during the War of Northern Aggression , behind the Spencer and Sharps, has not been replicated and no one off replicas have ever been located that I am aware of. I have no doubts the firearm itself isnt an actial replica..but could agree the engravings were done afterwards.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...from the auction listing:

quote:EXTREMELY RARE ONE OF ONLY TWO KNOWN ENGRAVED FIRST MODEL BURNSIDE CARBINE.

SN 169. 54 Cal. Less than 300 first model Burnsides were produced and engraved models are extremely rare. This particular arm appears all orig and unaltered with a German silver buttplate that is engraved on top. Lock, hammer, frame and breech are engraved to match as can be seen in photos. Only one other engraved first model carbine is known (SN 214). Like SN 214 this Burnside is made without Maynard tape system and utilizes German silver Schuetzen style buttplate. PROVENANCE: Estate Collection of Lewis & Leyton Yearout. CONDITION: Good to very good overall. Gun is sound and solid with good mechanics and crisp sharp rifling in bore. Metal surfaces show old cleaning, rust and pitting but markings are still discernible and matching SNs are found externally on bbl, frame, breech block, sight base and base plate screw. Stock is sound and solid with scattered dings and dents as can be seen in photos.

53790x1.jpg

53790x4.jpg

53790x5.jpg

53790x6.jpg

53790.jpg

_________
    ()()()()()()()(