In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

opinion

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
AMT 380 backup 2-5/8" 2 safeties..VS.. NAA guardian 380 2.5" 1 safety about the same size and build...both close in price...and points for one over the other ????? thanx

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only had experience, with the Backup. Had 2 of them. One a early one by OMC, than a AMT. Neither was reliable. OK for a range toy. No good for personal protection. This was years ago.

The modern Backup's, are made by High Standard Houston. Who bought AMT's name. Weather they are any better. I don't know?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oops...NAA has no manual or magazine safety DA only heavier trigger and the AMT is SA only with double safety
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd rather have 5 rounds of 38 Special in my hand.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend has a NAA in their odd .32x380 bottleneck caliber.
    It is a MUCH nicer pistol than the Backup and would definitely be my choice between those two.

Otherwise, Charlie's .38 or a Ruger .380 would be my choice.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just reading about the AMT Backup in an old copy of Gun Tests. They stated Reliable but trigger too heavy. Now it seems this one they tested from the 1996 was better than the first one they tested. With that in mind I'd go NAA. Since they're still around.

How are those .380 Glocks? Are they in the same size and price range? Being in California I don't see them to do the comparison.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT Backup came in two ways, one internal hammer, pull trigger, fire, other, DAO, heavy pull as the Guardian. I have the single action AMT right now next me at the computer and have had no problems with it. And I have had the NAA's also with no problem. AMT 's sometimes get a bad rep for no other reason "cause I heard they are bad."
    Pizz and moan at me but I like them AMT's but I also like the NAA's. Course I like about all kinds of firearms.[:I][8)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In .380, if I were going there, I would go with Bursa. I have a .38 on my hip. S&W 637, small and very light.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had both, still have the NAA and the little brother in 32 ACP. Reliable and well made. Not much can go wrong and each has always gone "bang" for me. The same is not true of the AMT, in my experience.

I didn't carry the AMT with a round in. I have no issue carrying the NAA fully loaded because the hammer always stays down, can't be put in SA cocked mode and follows the slide, and the DA trigger pill is more than stout.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put your money on the NAA...the AMT's are junk.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a bersa thunder and CC model in 380...like to have just a little more meat on the safety to get thumb on...have a NAA 22mag 2" at the lake with mag birdshot ...real easy pocket piece for copperheads..also have had a bersa 22lr in the long barrel sport model they quit importing in the late 90's...a seldom seen 22 that is a real gem