In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mark C or other M1 Garand nerds

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
What are the typical values for the Sec Nav Trophy M1 Garands? This particular one in 7.62x51, has all the original inner/outer boxes, bags and grease pencil markings on the bolt etc. It is all original to the condition it was awarded.

Also did these go through CMP?

Thanks

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    These rifles were never sold through the DCM or the CMP. The only way to obtain a Sec Nav Trophy rifle was to win it in a match (or buy it from someone who did).
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    These rifles were never sold through the DCM or the CMP. The only way to obtain a Sec Nav Trophy rifle was to win it in a match (or buy it from someone who did).

That's what I thought, they go through NAVY or Marine Armory...yet one is being offered in a trade and he wrote

"I also have the provenance paperwork which includes the CMP award certificate which notes the serial number of the rifle."

Which makes no sense......

What do you think of the value? He says he paid $2900 for it, which to me seems high.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have lost contact with him There was a Camp Perry member from Va. that won quite a few It had strange rules on how it was won Contact me with PM I might be able to shed some light
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Every Navy Trophy rifle I've seen (and that is not too many) was shipped directly to the winner from the Naval surface Warfare Center in Crane, Indiana and came with its own paperwork. Back when Scott Duff was still selling m1s he would get a Navy Trophy Rifle now and then and they were always priced at around $4000, but values are pretty much what you are willing to pay. They are pricier than a National Match rifle, but you can (or could) order a NM M1 directly from the CMP, but you have to win a match to get a Navy.

Keep in mind that these Navy Rifles bring big money because they are hard to find, not because they are necessarily better rifles than any other match grade M1.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Every Navy Trophy rifle I've seen (and that is not too many) was shipped directly to the winner from the Naval surface Warfare Center in Crane, Indiana and came with its own paperwork. Back when Scott Duff was still selling m1s he would get a Navy Trophy Rifle now and then and they were always priced at around $4000, but values are pretty much what you are willing to pay. They are pricier than a National Match rifle, but you can (or could) order a NM M1 directly from the CMP, but you have to win a match to get a Navy.

Keep in mind that these Navy Rifles bring big money because they are hard to find, not because they are necessarily better rifles than any other match grade M1.

Ok thank you....he has indicated that he bought it from the recipent. I assume you meant $4000 not $40,000

Yes, $4000.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have lost contact with him There was a Camp Perry member from Va. that won quite a few It had strange rules on how it was won Contact me with PM I might be able to shed some light

I emailed thru GB, apparently it didn't go thru.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - "shilowar" - the private e-mail icon on GB forums doesn't work anymore. PerryShooter will have to give you his e-mail address in some form - perhaps not visible to everyone. If necessary - I will serve as a go-between. My e-mail address is AdamsQuailHunter@comcast.net and has been posted here before so it is open information. If you and he sends me an e-mail - I can put you two in touch privately.

In the mean time - be careful if you come to Florida - the last two days it has been open season on LEOs - in Jax & Kiss.

Best Regards- AQH