In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Century Arms C308 opinions?

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I am considering a new purchase, just for fun. Not to carry, not to hunt, just to shoot....a range toy, if you will. They are "on sale" thru the Sportsman's Guide at a very reasonable price...compared to elsewhere, including the auction side here.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/century-arms-c308-semi-automatic-308-winchester-762-nato-18-barrel-201-rounds?a=2155469

Can anyone offer first hand insight to these rifles? Are they fun to shoot? Are they accurate? Reliable? Do you enjoy shooting it? Would you recommend it.
I know this is a rather vague question, but I am just trying to get some ideas, in addition to what I read on line.
Thanks for any opinions!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of Century Arms builds, have a bad rep. Do a lot of research on-line, regarding there builds before springing for this one. There are a lot of reviews, and U Tube videos on the net. Personally I wouldn't buy any thing that Century made. Unless it was absolute guaranteed, With return privileges.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beware the angry beavers. If you can inspect before purchase and check things like roller gap, it might be worth it. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Fun toy for $500ish? PSA has Glock mag AR lowers on sale for $200ish and a complete 9mm upper for $330....
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 82trooper
    I am considering a new purchase, just for fun. Not to carry, not to hunt, just to shoot....a range toy, if you will. They are "on sale" thru the Sportsman's Guide at a very reasonable price...compared to elsewhere, including the auction side here.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/century-arms-c308-semi-automatic-308-winchester-762-nato-18-barrel-201-rounds?a=2155469

Can anyone offer first hand insight to these rifles? Are they fun to shoot? Are they accurate? Reliable? Do you enjoy shooting it? Would you recommend it.
    I know this is a rather vague question, but I am just trying to get some ideas, in addition to what I read on line.
    Thanks for any opinions!
    Mike

A friend has one and I've used it. Functions fine, the trigger pull is heavy as heck - as in +15 lbs or so. Not exactly a fine fit & finish gun but all in all, at least his didn't fall victim to the usual Century rework standards. IIRC he paid about $150.00 for it years back. There's no price on the current advert but if it's $500.00, I'd have to pass. With a bit of luck a PTR used can be had for maybe high 7s, low 8s?
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    My experience with Century is hit or miss. If you got a good one, great, enjoy. If you got a bad one, sell it to someone you don't like, and try again. I went thru 2 of their Franken-FALs before I got
    a good one, but, I didn't have a shortage of people I didn't like to get rid of them.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    I had one and it was nothing but grief from the start. I took a loss on it and bought a SA M1A. eastbank.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to pile on as some of my favorite guns are their imports...BUT...had a "new" FAL from them fire out of battery on one of my clients. Round went boom about "3/16ths of an inch out and gassed the magazine with 19 more rounds in it. The mag looked like a beer can where it was t inserted into the receiver, and the shell casing looked like a belted .308 magnum with half the belt burnt through. Will never purchase ANYTHING they have worked on.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well buy a $500 brick. The mechanics will work about as well.
  • Options
    0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    Guns imported by Century are usually good deals, guns built by Century are usually more trouble than they're worth.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 "guns built by Century are usually more trouble than they're worth" They give Bubba a bad name.
  • Options
    82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK,all......thanks for the insight. I will just keep waiting for my next hankering. I work waaaaaaay too hard for my "fun money" for the apparent headaches.
    Mike