In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Windage Maxxed Out

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
Shot my recently built .243 Mauser sporter yesterday. Shot way to the right and I maxxed out on the scope adjustment. POI is still 1-2" to the right at 15 yards. Yeah, I had to go to 15 yards just to get on a large piece of cardboard! I suspect the holes weren't drilled in alignment. I have too much $ and effort into to this project just to let go of it.

Do you think the Millet Angle Loc scope rings would give me enough windage adjustment? I learned that both the Millet and Redfield adjustable systems have been discontinued, at least according to Brownnells.

Is shimming a potential fix?

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris Signature rings can give you LOTS of MOA of adjustment. About $60 or so IIRC, and can adjust for both elevation and windage.

Or you can do what I did a few weeks ago. Shim the base of the rings where they clamp to the weaver mount (assuming you are using weaver style rings/mount)

On the "fixed" side of the mount (typically left) shim the rear. I used aluminum tape. Cut small piece, remove sticky stuff, attach to weaver base, cut out the notch where the cross bar rides. 2 or 3 layers should do it for you.

You also MIGHT be able to "fix" things by swapping your rings around - fore and aft, and try reversing them (so screw to tighten is on left side instead of right). Of course, this still depends on you using Weaver style bases/rings.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Shot my recently built .243 Mauser sporter yesterday. Shot way to the right and I maxxed out on the scope adjustment. POI is still 1-2" to the right at 15 yards. Yeah, I had to go to 15 yards just to get on a large piece of cardboard! I suspect the holes weren't drilled in alignment. I have too much $ and effort into to this project just to let go of it.

Do you think the Millet Angle Loc scope rings would give me enough windage adjustment? I learned that both the Millet and Redfield adjustable systems have been discontinued, at least according to Brownnells.

Is shimming a potential fix?

Shimming will help. I've done a few and it's not difficult. But unlike vertical in which you could shim under the base doing left/right means shimming inside the ring.

Can you use standard bases with windage screws in the rear? That would be the easiest approach and give the greatest adjustment.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pic's would help. They must way off. I would plug the holes and start over with correctly D&T holes.

Are you sure there isn't other stuff wrong like a bent barrel or installed cockeyed, action being warped by improper bedding.

How does the scope sit in just the bottom half of the rings, does it drop right in or do you need to force it down.

A buddy went threw 3 scopes because he couldn't get the rifle to print, turns out he was way over tightening the screws and crushing the scope tube so the adjustments didn't function correctly.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bases I use have a pair of give-and-take type screws on the back base. You do the rough alignment with these, I find a bore sighting laser is a big help, and then you can use the internal adjustments in the scope for the fine work. Be sure you center your crosshairs before you start with the laser so you have the maximum adjustment in both directions. Only a small amount of change in the base screws can make a big difference. Midway is showing the Leupolds as available and their split base steels units are plenty of support for a .243.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    a lot depends on which action your rifle is built on, Redfield 'type' bases are available for almost any action and offer a lot of windage adjustment.
  • Options
    257imp257imp Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using Redfield style rings/bases there should be enough adjustment in the base.If using Weaver style bases,shimming or Millet Angle Loc rings should solve the problem.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

I found a pair of Millet angle lock rings in a box I hadn't looked in for years. Actually 2 pair (1" & 30mm). Didn't know that the angle locks could be used to correct problems such as mine.

If this doesn't work it will require a visit to the gunsmith that installed the barrel a couple of months back.

Jim
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there and if it is that far off have it re-drilled.
  • Options
    257imp257imp Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using a 2 piece mount,you may have one bad hole.Using ONE of your non adjustable rings,mount the scope.The bad hole,should make the scope,not mount parallel with the barrel(scope will be slanted left or right,rather than being lined up with the barrel).Try removing one screw at a time,to find the bad hole.With a light recoiling round,3 screws may be enough.If you find the problem,we can come up with fixes.I would have to mortgage the farm to have my gunsmith drill 4 new holes.Good luck!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    victorj19,

quote:Shot my recently built .243 Mauser sporter yesterday.

I would immediately take it back to the builder and suggest that they need to correct the problem. This is the type of oversight which gives gunsmiths a bad name...

If for some reason you can't get the builder to fix the problem, you need to start from the beginning to find the real problem instead of using bandaids to attempt to solve it.

Put the rifle in a rifle vise which you should have. Get it level in both directions.

Remove the scope but leave the bottom portion of the rings in place.

Use a piece of round stock matching the ring diameter such as aluminum, brass, copper, steel, etc. placed in the rings.

If there is windage adjust in either base, get it centered from the start. You need to have the round stock aligned with the barrel in the beginning.

Now sight along the round stock and the rifle as they sit in the vise. This will immediately tell you if you have the rings in alignment because the round stock will be shifted off center.

The second possibility is that one or both of the rings is misaligned which will show as a space on one side of a ring or the round stock is kicked up in the air because it can't seat properly in the rings. What ever the misalignment, it will be obvious just by looking at the bar.

Sometimes the fix is as simple as getting the right ring in the right location. However, because of the design of the Mauser, each ring or base is unique so switching out the bases or rings is a waste of time.

The best method of checking screw hole alignment is in a milling machine by indication. But you will be charged for this as a service. The upside is that if the holes are misaligned, you're in the machine already and the fix is easy to execute. It's not cheap but it's relatively easy.

If you choose not to indicate the screws in but they are out of alignment, you can get a one-piece 'gunsmith base' without holes which allows you to drill the holes to align the base.

A faster method is to use the Burris Zee rings:

sigzee1401.jpg

Normally, these are used to add MOA elevation for shooting longer ranges but they can be used on the sides for windage. The inserts also prevent marking the scope tube from of poor quality rings.

Best.