In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting +P Loads in S&W Model 36

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I was given a box of Federal 129 grain Hydra-Shok ammo for my S&W Mod 36 which was made in the 1960's. I have shot several, to establish POA, and didn't notice any significant difference between them and other factory ammo in performance. I carry them for PD but don't shoot them otherwise.

A fellow at the range looked at the weapon and admired the condition, but said to stay away from +P ammo. I had heard this before and kind of blew it off because I have others say that the early steel J frames were capable of handling +P stuff with out any problems.

Question for the Experts: What is your opinion regarding +P in S&W early J frames?.

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned 3 or 4 S&W Chief's Special Model 36 with no dash. I never worried about firing +P ammo but I didn't do it often.

Even well made firearms can eventually wear out or become damaged at the points where they get the most stress.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's your gun and it will stand them for a while. I have a early model 60 and I only shoot full tilt reloads of 38 Special. Many 1000's have went down range. Enough that I could hit 1 gallon milk jugs at a hundred yards with surprising regularity or beer bottles out of the air if you or I threw them. It is still a nice pistol and still shoots good. I think people are way better shooting one load whatever you and and the weapon do best with.

IMHO If you want or need 357 performance then get one.

added 5000 rounds is like just barely broken in.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby
    I was given a box of Federal 129 grain Hydra-Shok ammo for my S&W Mod 36 which was made in the 1960's. I have shot several, to establish POA, and didn't notice any significant difference between them and other factory ammo in performance. I carry them for PD but don't shoot them otherwise.

A fellow at the range looked at the weapon and admired the condition, but said to stay away from +P ammo. I had heard this before and kind of blew it off because I have others say that the early steel J frames were capable of handling +P stuff with out any problems.

Question for the Experts: What is your opinion regarding +P in S&W early J frames?.

I'm no expert. But I ruined, a early 60's vintage Model 37. (Aluminum frame version, of your Model 36). With my hand loads. Stretched the frame,caused the cylinder to go out of time. I didn't believe at the time, that my loads were any hotter than +P's. Silly me.

Plus P's might be OK, for your steel frame Model 36. But poison for the aluminum "J" frame revolvers. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In reality, +P gets you +10% more pressure, which does not equate to 10% more velocity, as a general rule...especially out of a snubby. In a vintage revolver, I would stick to the regular stuff, and in my newer stuff like the LCR, I still shoot the regular stuff. It is much more fun, and less expensive to shoot, and not beating down your beautiful vintage S&W.

Its like a race car...the more compression you get in your engine, the shorter it's life will be.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deja vu, all over again. Please see below for a detailed explanation of why +P ammo isnt' going to hurt your gun.

In short, contrary to popular misconception, +P ammo is barely more powerful than ordinary 38 ammo, the ammo itself was designed to be safe in all modern .38 revolvers, and every steel Smith gun is *WAY* tougher than that.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=698598

Personally, speaking, I have no issue firing .38+P from my early ("no dash") model 36 (blued steel version of the model 60) or from my .38 model 60, and in fact, that's the ONLY ammo I'll put in there for carry or "glovebox" type use.

If you don't want the gun to wear out, then don't shoot it.

Again, maybe a steady diet of thousands of rounds of +P ammo would wear out one of these guns sooner. Though, if so, I've never actually heard of such a case with a *STEEL* (that's key here) J-frame snubnose.

In practice 99.95% of these revolvers will never see that many rounds in their entire lifetimes. Unless you shoot your gun a *LOT* (and by a "lot" I mean a box of ammo every week for many years) I wouldn't worry about this at all. Its a non-issue.

Now, as above, if you happen to have a vintage ALUMINUM frame Smith J-frame, that's a totally different story. The original "airweight" guns were made of pure aluminum, not hardened alloy like today's guns.

That aluminum didn't stand up well to the battering from recoil, and these guns were and still are subject to frame stretching. Even normal .38s will eventually ruin these guns. In effect they've got very short service lives. +Ps, of course, will make it happen sooner.

IMO, if you've got one of those, you probably shouldn't shoot it *AT ALL* (unless "in anger"). Put it away as a collectible, and get yourself a proper modern alloy or steel frame replacement, that will last you a lifetime shooting .38 (or .38+P!) ammo.

Modern Smith airweight guns have been beefed up design wise and have much better metallurgy. These guns are perfectly fine with +P, and in fact they've been "torture tested" with 5000 rounds of +P ammo (ie 100 boxed) and have come out just fine.