In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cartridge belt...take 2.

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
Good afternoon. I always struggle with posting pix here. Hopefuy, I got it right this time......
I am looking for some assistance identifying this cartridge belt. It appears to be a Mills product, possibly from the 1880's, however I cannot locate an exact match in my internet research, so I am turning to the experts here.
It is khaki in color, approx 42" long, and is marked with a #"2" on the inside of the belt. I cannot locate any other marking, on the belt or buckle. See the pix below.

Any assistance with what I actually have would be appreciated.
Thanks. Mike
enhance
enhance
enhance
enhance
enhance

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spiders 30-40 belt, looks different than yours? Maybe yours is for the 45-70?

post-599-1241910249.jpg
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is similar to Spyders image.
    and similar to these, brought to my attention in my original post, as well....
    http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/U.S.%20Ammo%20Belts%20&%20Pouches.htm
    I really am trying to determine exactly what I have. We all know close does not count.
    The buckle is very thick, appearing to be cast, rather than stamped.
    enhance
    enhance
    enhance
    enhance
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw one with that buckle at an auction being sold with a cartridge pouch listed as being for a Trapdoor Springfield and had 45/70 rounds in the loops.
    Edit; from what I gather, a Model 1885 Mills, and the belt color seems to be associated with different units.
    Here ya go:

post-599-1245697515.jpg
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cartridge loops on your belt appear to be individually fastened to the belt. Mills belts were made with the belt and loops woven together as one piece. So the belt probably is pre-1880. The belt plate may be a 4th or 5th variation made circa 1881. You should get hold of a copy of "The .45-70 Springfield" by Poyer & Riesch and closely read pages 102 - 108 while examining your belt and plate.
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any venture a guess as to it's value?