In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 x 39

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
A friend is building a bolt action rifle in this caliber. Wants to know what bore size to use, .322 or .308? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting bolt guns for 50 plus years, but I'm not up to speed on AK's, SKS, Mini 30's etc. I'm considering buying some such critter, for the bad-guys in my front yard, should they show up. Also, sounds like fun out in the boonies. I know a bunch of you guys are virtual experts on such pieces. Any info., recommendations on mfg.. cal. would be appreciated. I like the looks of the Ruger Mini 30, but also hear some bad things about reliability, with it THX in advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How does the 7.62 stack up as a hunting calibre..........(vs. 270, .308, 7mm)I purchased a few cases years ago and am looking for a ruger77 in 7.62........any other bolt action rifle recommendations I could use?
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak to the Ruger Mini-30 - but I do have a Norinco SKS-D that accepts AK-47 magazines. I have had no problems with it except it doesn't like the brown colored "bakilite" (sp) magazines - <sold all 3 of them off at a gun show>.

Best Regards - AQH

To keep from upping the post count - and getting the topic locked at 10 - I will just edit this one.

When Mission's Trail Shooters Club was active - we took turns being "range master" and opening the "Lou Whittaker Range" in the Osceola National Forest for the Game & Fish Commission on weekends.
    Several shooters had SKSs. Often they had 5 round (box) magazines to replace the original box magazine so they could legally use them to hunt in Florida. According to some of them the 7.62X39 round is similar to the 30-30 - and a bunch had both rifles.

They also had 20 round box magazines to replace the original one - and could load it fairly quickly using two stripper clips. They could then blaze away down range.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best deal nowadays for a rifle chambered in 7.62 X 39. Would be on the AR platform. The bottom has pretty much drop out, on AR's and AR accessories.

Never thought I would see the day, but brand new AR's are selling for $400 or less. That's $200 to $300 less than AK's, not to mention double for Ruger Mini-30s. Even original SKS's in excellent condition are bringing more.

All you need to convert a AR to 7.62 X 39, is a barrel, BCG and magazine. Adjustable gas block might be in order also to prevent overgasing. Way cheaper than buying a descent AK or Mini nowadays.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo ain't as cheap as they use to be in recent months. I was told when the last of the "imports" dry up it's gonna be ugly.

When I got my AK I got the one that took AR magazines and rounds. Sure she's a "pistol" but she's also spitting .223/5.56 [:D].
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You couldn't pay me to own an AK or AR.
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7.62x39 is one of the great all around cartridges. I would lean towards the Ak or SKS, if you shop around you can still find them for around $500 or less. Ammo will never be a problem, it can still be found for $5 or less a box. Even if the russian imports dry up there is tons of it coming into the US from all over Europe.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody makes a rifle with AR action that takes AK magazines.
    But it is not cheap.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    own both the mini 14v in 223 and an Sks Never had a problem with reliability in the ruger ,just cant hit the barn door with it .The Sks ,which is a Chinese norinco has always been flawless in operation .I won it as a door prize years ago when they were selling for all of $60
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.62x39?
    I have a single shot, a bolt action, 2 SKS's, and 3 AR's in this caliber. For someone who isn't really "into the 7.62x39", I seem to have a bunch of rifles that shoot it.
    Regardless, if I were going to recommend a rifle in this caliber for repelling boarders or wounding a deer to death, it would be the SKS. Although not an over-achiever in the accuracy category, it is adequate for deer hunting within the restrictions of the round. It won't hit coyotes consistently beyond 100-150 yards even with an optic. Taking the super dorky bayonet off the muzzle may help-it did on mine. Get some stripper clips for speed loading and you'll be set.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

I am not an AK, SKS or Mini-30 aficionado but I do have a good breadth of experience with rifles, cartridges and solving a client's needs and desires.

My solution for bad guys in my front yard is a good shotgun loaded with heavy, dense buckshot. This serves double duty inside the home as well. But I understand the attraction of shooting semi-autos with less expensive ammunition also.

In my opinion, you would be better served by using an AR platform for shooting 7.62x39, creating the ability to add uppers of other flavors for your shooting enjoyment. The quality and accuracy will be better in general. Yes, I know all the AK lovers will rail against this but in general, it's true.

Regarding the feeding issues with AR uppers, make sure the gas port is large enough to allow the proper amount of gas to exit. Use a mid-length gas tube and barrel. Make the feed ramp all one without the separation between the sides. Then go have a blast!

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If legal where you are located, look for a milled receiver AK-47. Yes, the cheap stamped receivers will work well too, but the milled is just so much smoother.