In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester rifle set

BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi..Anyone have any information on the "Mississippi Gambler" set of five Winchester model 94 rifles being offered for sale on the auction side? There seems to be no info in the Madis book. BT

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/675968344

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little googling found that they only made 40 each.
    Not in Madis, is there a post-1981 edition?
    Not in Blue Book.

Here is a matching numbered comprised set that sold for $15000
    https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=129310&gl=1#1
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because the subject guns were manufactured in 1981, they were too late to be in any of George Madis' books.

Personally, I think that the asking price is way too high, but one never knows how much somebody might be willing to pay to own that set.
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems strange as my little Madis handbook lists commemoratives up to 1999 (Partners in Conservation). Were these actual Winchesters that were made into commemoratives by someone else? That incident is commonplace, too. BT
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct. Someone else , as were many. We have a "ONE of ONE" in our town.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BUCKAWHO
    Seems strange as my little Madis handbook lists commemoratives up to 1999 (Partners in Conservation). Were these actual Winchesters that were made into commemoratives by someone else? That incident is commonplace, too. BT

The actual answer to your questions, is NO, these were not real Winchesters. These were made by USRAC(US Repeating Arms Company), in the Winchester Plant in New Haven. Winchester made no firearms after 1980. Yes, these were most likely "Dolled" up by a mint house, to try to sell them for an extraordinary price, kind of like a "get rich quick" scheme. Only the commeratives made by Winchester, or their licensing of such manufacture, maintain, or gain value. The value of the rifles in that auction, unless sought after by a niche collector, are no more than their contemporary standard production counterparts, or possibly even a little less. So yes, I do agree with Bert H on this, that the price on this auction is way far fetched, or wishful thinking.

That being said, the poor soul putting these up for sale, is most likely a victim who was lead to believe that these would be an investment, or was astonished by the "glitter", and done it anyway.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I call a "commemorative" is a gun that is cataloged by the manufacturer, & is available to dealers through all distributors.

I use the term "special edition" to describe a gun that an individual, group, or distributor orders from the manufacturer for exclusive sale. The set in question would seem to be one of these. So, I would have to agree with Mr 1965's analysis.

Interestingly, the resale of "special editions" usually results in NO SALE, as the seller usually starts at the price that he paid. Few would take a chance on a penny start auction. The initial buyers tend to be "investors", as opposed to "collectors", & it's only when they try to sell that they realize that scarcity, or original selling price, are not related to "market value".

I suspect that these rifles will go back into the safe for a few years.

Neal
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting that for a series, they come in two different style boxes.

So the opinion is that this is not a factory offered item but something done by an outside company?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1