In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Re-chamber to 22 hornet?

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
What are the issues, considerations, pros and cons of a rifle like this being re-chambered to 22 hornet?

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/692112186

I run across rifles like this and find them interesting but would like to have one in a cartridge that I can readily buy ammo for.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Action strength is the limiting factor.
    5.6 Vierling is pretty much a .22 WCF smokeless with .222" bullet.
    It is rated 39,000 psi where Hornet is 49,000 SAAMI, 45,000 CIP.

It might accept Hornets as is or rechambered, but factory Hornet ammo would definitely amount to +P if not an overload.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken the chambering it is in now is the metric same as 22 Hornet have you looked in cartridges of the world and also looked ar rifle to see if it is marked most guns like this will have chamber markings
    f
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do a anything to it, if it's still factory original? Which the seller fails to mention. If it's been reblued and the stock refinished? That would greatly diminish it's collectors value. Rechambering, it, wouldn't affect value.

An original Sauer stocking rifle with scope, would be worth really big bucks in Germany nowadays. Which leads me to believe, that it's been reblued and refinished.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a martini that was re-chambered from 5.6x33r and it shoots well
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=695086&SearchTerms=martini
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Special Order dies in 5.6 x 35 Vierling $150 and 90 days

https://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=19464

I vote with Hawk Carse. .222 bullets are harder to find these days. Hornet brass is around and should be workable. I tend to not push metallurgy pre 20's.

One of my first rifles was a H&R 2 barrel set break action in 22 Hornet and 20 gauge 3". The 20 made a pleasure to pack shotgun. The Hornet barrel was way heavy (the 20 barrel with a little hole). With full loads it had extraction issues always at inopportune times (solved by carrying a section of cleaning rod to drop down the bore).
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies.

While I have no real need of one I've always wanted a .22 hornet. I also liked this old gun and ones like it, just a real interesting line of rifles, to me anyway. A friend of mine has a similar rifle and scope set up in .222 rimed and it's a tack driver.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a CZ 527 LUX in .22 hornet. Has a single set trigger taped for mounts as well as iron sights. Like I said no real need, just something I want.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluing looks original to me, but always hard to tell for sure from photos. Seller has excellent feedback history. I'd ask, and trust the answer. While I agree that a reblue would adversely affect collector value, I'm inclined to think that a rechamber would too!
    [:D]
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cz 527 lux is a miniture mauser action, enough said. only thing I would change
    is the magazine , due to 22 hornet rimmed design , similar to 303 british magazine, beyond and in front of the trigger guard, results in uncomfortable carry. James Calhoon makes a milled steel filler
    to over come this at the expense of the rifle becoming a single shot.
    Also james Calhoon sells a 37 grain double cavity .224 bullet that really brings out
    the full potential of the hornet.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5,

I'm usually the first one to go along with the idea of re-chambering an existing rifle...until these come along.

Respectfully:

Personally, I would leave this rifle and the others like this one, alone, period. If you don't like the chamber, pass on buying the rifle and let it go to someone who will shoot it in the original form. There is no reason to bother this type and age of rifle just so you can buy ammunition for a different chamber.

Cases can be made and reloaded but I have not found a supplier of modern manufactured commercial ammunition. RWS used to make it but it is not on their current list.

Best.