In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Sweet Sixteen

peedadpeedad Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently aquired a Browning Sweet Sixteen. I inherited it from my great grandfather. It was a retirement gift to him from sweptco electric co. He retired sometime in the 50's I believe. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the year it was made and an approximate value. The gun is in very good condition. As far as I know it has only been fired 7 or 8 times. I also have the original box of shells that he bought for it. The serial # is 2s94698. On the left of the barrel it reads **- (which means IC I believe), then it has in all caps SPECIAL STEEL-16 GUAGE-SHELLS 2 3/4". It also has BROWNING ARMS CO. ST. LOUIS MO. & MONTREAL P.Q. The barrel length is 25 1/2" which doesn't sound exactly right but that is what it measured. There is one very small ding in the butt stock and a spot of rust on the reciever about the size of a match head. No scratches on the original butt plate either it is in excellent condition. No cracks in fore stock or butt stock. Underneath the fore stock there were some more markings. The ones I could read were a number like this 16-70 in the middle of a circle and OKG930. The rest of it was foreign or I didn't know the meaning of it. Thank YOU in advance for any help anyone could give me. I would like to insure the gun and would like to know how much to insure fo. Thanks again, Mini Man [8D] P.S. I have a couple of pics on my computer but I am new to this foruma nd haven't quite figured out how to post them here.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4;13

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I know a guy that has a belgium made sweet sixteen that is still in the box. I believe that it was made in the 60s and has a 28" berrel. He priced it to me for $2,500. Is this reasonalable. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of these w/ serial #'s- 71476 and X65429. Need dates of manufacture. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen with serial number 32XXX. There is an "S" above the serial number. According to the serial number I gues the DOM to be about 1926 but the "S" suposedly didn't come around until 1958. I'm confused
    Please help!!
    Thanks
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1954-58? Browning Sweet Sixteen Shotgun that my grandfather gave me 20 years ago. It is fully operational, but does have some obvious wear since he used it for duckhunting for years. He was the only owner of the gun before me, but unfortunately I do not have any of the original papers on it. All engravings are in good shape and the only thing missing is the gold bb sight on the barrell. Most of the gold is worn off the trigger as well. I was just wondering what this gun might be worth today. Thanks for any info you can give.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning serial numbers, can be a very confusing. As they changed their serial number formats, a number of times over the years.

I can't find either of your serial numbers, on the "Auto 5" database at this link.

Unless the Sweet 16's are listed separately, on another database. From the standard "Auto 5's"?

Might consider calling the customer service folks at Browning a call, if all else fails.

http://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/auto-5-semi-automatic-shotgun.html
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did some more digging using GOOGLE. This site has more information, than the Browning web site.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=297760

Using the data from this site.

71476 would date to 1929, and X65429 would date to 1952.