In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94AE cartridge lifter in 444 Marlin

rlamk4rlamk4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a source for a 444 cartridge lifter. MGW, Homestead, Numrich, eBay no luck.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to find parts. I didn't know they were made in 444.

I have a AE in 44 mag. that has been a problem it's whole life. First I had to correct the head space issue.

Then the lifter end broke off after first having the right cartridge guide fall out due to a crack threw the screw hole.

I drilled out and bushed the screw hole back to original because I could find any parts. I filed out a part to weld onto the lifter, though the rifle will feed well (even cast SWC's) if you cycle the action quickly. Just haven't had access to a welder at the right time.

Last time out the ejector broke, so I'll need to weld that up too. I think I could buy that part but the rifle isn't worth the $25. Perhaps that top eject 44 mag one could be made to work from MGW $80.

I just looked at a desk top 5 axis CNC unit for $4k on youtube. It will do aluminium. I think I'll ask them if it could do mild steel at a slower pace and a shallower cut with like cobalt or carbide bits. I could have fun making parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXGNZvW7vY
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK. They specialize in lever guns
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rlamk4,

Your Winchester is a BIG BORE, like this one, right?:

12524d1368196809-pre-64-model-94-444-marlin-timber-carbine.jpg

++++++++
    >>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    never had a problem with my timber carbine in 444 marlin other than being very loud.. mr myopic