In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cost to replace springs in a Hi Power?

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
What should a sprong replacement kit cost and what should be a reasonable price to have the springs replaced for a lighter trigger pull?

Thanks

Penguin

Comments

• Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springs have very little to do with trigger pull.
    Surfaces need to be polished properly to reduce pull. You can also remove the magazine safety.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well said. It could be a DIY project.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolff Gunsprings at this link, would be the place to obtain replacement springs for your Browning.

The only spring that likely will improve the trigger pull. Is the hammer/mainspring. The improvement will be minimal though. Just went that route with a CZ 75 clone.

As the previous posters noted the improvement requires either a trigger job from a knowledgeable gun smith. Or a aftermarket "drop-in" trigger/hammer. That has had it's hammer/sear interface surfaces, honed and polished for minimun engagement.

https://www.gunsprings.com/BROWNING/1935 (HI POWER)/cID1/mID3/dID5
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    Good advice. Makes sense. Thanks
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penguin
    What should a spring replacement kit cost and what should be a reasonable price to have the springs replaced for a lighter trigger pull?

Thanks

Penguin

A kit should be $12.00 to $15.00. It should include the magazine disconnect spring, trigger return, FP spring & mainspring too. I suppose a lighter mainspring & trigger return spring will result in a lighter pull. But unless the mag disconnect pad is polished, sear and sear notch polished the pull will still be creepy.

Replacing springs means removing & replacing the trigger. On the BHPs I've cleaned up I found it to be a PITA drifting out the pin. I'd make sure whomever was doing the work isn't one of those "get a bigger hammer" types but is instead very careful about nicking or marking up the gun.

Taking the gun apart, reassembly and cost of the springs & no other work - I'd say $75.00 is fair.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bill,

Denny
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you haven't done so, I've heard removing the magazine safety does improve the trigger in a Hi Power.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking to replace the recoil spring I recommend you contact Browning.

I bought a spring pack for 1 of my Hi Powers from Wolff. The recoil spring was way too long.

See my post about replacing the trigger spring in your other thread.