In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Experience with this barrel clamp??

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Good/bad?? Does the cushions stay on/hold up? Is it sufficient to eliminate marring? Thank you.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/wheeler-fine-gunsmith-equipment-universal-barrel-clamp.html

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe,

Fixtures such as this are often not the best solution for gunsmithing applications. They are created by the low end parts designers like Wheeler to sell by the millions for a huge profit, not to actually solve problems.

In this case, the 'non-marring urethane' separates from the aluminum blocks when it meets the resistance of a tight barrel. It is limited to constant diameter barrels such as the AR-style barrels. It does not do well when used in attempts to work with tapered bolt action barrels.

I have used the larger two-part fixtures which are bolted to a heavy platform which uses two-part bushings matched to the barrel taper. I will wrap an index card around the barrel at the point I place the bushings then place this in between the clamping surfaces of the fixture. It's similar to these but I used much heavier steel plates which I made in the shop and grade 8 bolts and bearings:

PMAviseWEB__45512.1497547036.500.659.jpg?c=2

Vice-500x500.jpg

Best.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for properly fitted split collets and powdered rosin.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks,,
    Looking to use one on a M&P 15-22 we just got this past weekend
    Want to pull off the flash suppressor and hand guards to wipe down full length of barrel.