In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lawrence Holster

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
Having a hard time finding information on the following Lawrence holster; particularly, what handgun is it meant to fit?

It's light brown tanned leather, lined and with full basket weave carving on exterior.
I.D. on back as follows: 39 BZ then, "The George Lawrence Co., Portland, Oregon" and finally the numbers 783.

Had hoped it might fit my Ruger Mk. IV but even with it's bull target barrel that poor thing just floats around in all that space.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Lawrence went out of business in the mid 80's. The last catalog, with holster identifications codes. That I have been able to find, dates to the 60's. It tops out in the 600's, as far as specific guns are concerned.

Because of this, your holster probably dates to later than, the mid 70's. For # 783 pistol, what ever that is? The holster basic model is #39. "B", is basket stamped. "Z", is lined.

EDIT #1,

The Stoegers Shooters Bible's, used to list the various Lawrence Holsters that were available. Since Lawrence went out of business in the mid 80's. And # 783 holster, had to date no earlier than the mid 70's. Stoegers Shooters Bible's, dating from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Might be the reference that that you need.

I've run across a bunch of the old Shooters Bible's for sale over the years. Some might be even available, on line?
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really gotta know you can buy PDF files of their catalogues here:

https://www.vintagegunleather.com/
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 rufe-snow. Online doesn't look all that promising for free. I would walk it around at a big gun show and see if anything fits.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found #783 mentioned here.. Looks like it's for a Desert Eagle..

http://tinyurl.com/ycgeg9ln
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Found #783 mentioned here.. Looks like it's for a Desert Eagle..

http://tinyurl.com/ycgeg9ln

Must have been one of the last of the holsters, that Lawrence made. I bought a .357 Desert Eagle in 1984. It was used from a private party. They had only been on the market, for a couple years at the most.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Desert Eagle it is! No wonder my little Ruger got lost in the cavern!
    Thanks all, for the responses. As most of you know, even "Google" wasn't much help without the $$$$.
    Just took some pics and will list it on G.B. to see if there's any interest.
    Rob