In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Difference between F205, F205m,F205MAR Primers

LagoLago Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
Trying to find out the difference between the different Federal primers. I got 1K of F205M primers about a year ago and have used about 1/2 of them. I have one load with Rem 7 1/2 and the F205M was definitely better.

I have found a source for F205MAR but curious what the difference is. I was informed by a LGS that there were no more F205m primers in the US. I did query to Federal and was told that the F205M primers were still in production.

Just curious if anyone has done a comparison of the Federal primers.

Thanks
Lago

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I live, Federal small pistol primers are unavailable. So I have been using there small pistol, magnum primers.

Don't know the difference between the various Federal primers you mentioned? Only reason I prefer using them, is they seem more sensitive.

I've had FTF problems, with Wolf and Winchester primers in Glocks.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    there are standard primers and magnum primers if you hand load a safe charge of powder with standard primers MAY show pressure signs with Mag primers use reloading books for safe loads if you want small groups you may want to work up load and use all the same brand of primers as well as LOT NUMBER that is normally marked on the box of primers
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lago,

There's no mystery here just different ways of naming a product for it's uses.

205 primers are the federal standard energy primers used in small rifle primer cartridges.

205M is the designation for their 'Match' primers for small rifle. These supposedly go through more steps to check consistency and energy.

205MAR is the designation for Match AR primers which are slightly harder for use in the AR platforms.

Best.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nonsense nailed it

Don't change primers helter skelter w/o checking for pressure increases.