In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shipping a high end long gun question? PART 2

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have read the whole previous thread and I think there is still some more discussion to be had regarding this problem. Open up the box and put forth some of the ideas being held back. This deserves some serious consideration because of the value and potential inability to replace it even with the insurance money covered.

Best.

Comments

• SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about anything can be damaged. They way that has worked the best for me is to break the gun down so it is as short as possible. Usually two pieces. I put each piece in a soft gun sock and the place them in a hard case, usually plastic. When you close it it should be a compression close due to the bulkiness. I then lock the locks and put duct tape over the locks so they wont slide or pop open. I use a case with a handle, usually a split handle and then I duct tape that so the handle won't separate. It is also easier for the carrier to deliver it if it has a handle and less likely to be dropped. Take a photo in case they say it was not packaged properly if damaged. Take it to the carrier and insure it. I have seen custom made wooden crates made from 3/4" plywood completely destroyed, and they are very heavy.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After having a rare caliber 336SC arrive here with a shattered stock at the wrist, this would be my recommendation. Buy a hard card case in a box. Pack the shotgun tightly in the case, disassembled if necessary. Case goes back in the box and ship. I have asked sellers to do this and paid for the case, of course.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I like the idea of hand delivering such a valuable piece, that led me to thinking how 'art' items are shipped.

FedEx offers this service.

http://customcritical.fedex.com/us/services/market-industry/art.shtml
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to post this the during the last thread but it ran out first. So here is the skinny on cardboard cartons used for shipping. The gist is this, if the material inside a box is damaged, that seal on that carton better be correct or the shipper can simply deny accountability due to your ignorance of that code. Here is the explanation:

What Does The?Manufacturer?s Certification Stamp?Tell You About Your Box

Most corrugated boxes will have a round, sometimes square, stamp printed on one of the bottom major *. This stamp is known as the Manufacturer?s Certification Stamp and guarantees that the manufacturer has produced a container that conforms to the rules and regulations of the U.S. Commerce Commission. In the corrugated industry, the accepted standards are the Mullen Burst Test and the Edge Crush Test (ECT). The stamp will list one of these two values, but seldom both.

The Mullen Burst Test measures of bursting strength of the corrugated linerboard, in pounds per square inch.? The Edge Crush Test measures how much top and bottom pressure a box can withstand before crushing.? This is sometimes referred to as the stacking strength of the box.? The most commonly used boxes in the industry will be 200# Test (Mullen Burst Test) and 32 lb. ECT (Edge Crush Test).? These are widely accepted as interchangeable.

When comparing two identically sized cartons with equivalent strengths, one being Mullen Burst Test rated and one being ECT rated, the ECT rated carton will weigh less because it uses less corrugated material.? This is because a minimum board basis weight is required in the Mullen Burst Test, listed below the Burst Test on the seal in pounds per 1,000 square feet.

Regardless of whether the stamp lists the Mullen Burst Test or ECT, the remainder of the information on the seal will be the same.? Both stamps list the box manufacturer?s name at the top.? The stamp also identifies the box material as singlewall, doublewall, or triplewall.? This is how many layers of linerboard and fluting make up the box walls.? The size limit and gross weight limit will also be listed in the stamp.? Finally, the city where the box was manufactured will be listed at the bottom of the stamp.

Are you currently experiencing damage in shipping that may be from using the wrong box?? Could your shipping costs be reduced by making sure you are not using ?too much? box?? Piedmont National has the resources and experience to determine what box is best for your shipping needs.? Contact us today and we will schedule a visit.

Now you might think that you could get away with using the wrong box 'just this one time' but don't do it. You don't have to ask me how I know.

The company I worked for at the time used the outer box which came with those cheap plastic cases. The rifle being shipped was one of kind valued over $7,500.00 AND it was going overnight to make a competition deadline with weekend delivery guaranteed. The shipping and insurance was just a pinch over $280.00 by itself. Guess what?

It arrived at the FFL and we got the call from an extremely angry client. The McMillan synthetic stock was shattered at the pistol grip and wrist. Not broken, shattered. And the box looked O.K.... as did the case. We got UPS out of bed that night with a couple of extremely terse phone calls. They sent a team of upper echelon folks to do the investigation at the FFL. It took them just about two minutes to call us to say that the claim was being denied. Why? That little blue stamp on the end of the shipping carton didn't match the weight and schedule of the product contained by that box.

It didn't matter that there was no significant damage to either the box or the case. They wouldn't even discuss that since the stamp told them they were in the right. They didn't have to explain anything else.

End result? Three sleepless days and nights for a couple of us building a new rifle and UPS lost an extremely lucrative contract with that company.

It took the owner about an hour to locate a boxboard manufacturer who was local to us, get the specifications understood and sign a contract. Then he got Plano to make us special plastic cases to handle the dimensions and weight of our rifles. The catch for both was having to accept minimum orders which were a little stiff at first. There was a huge party that night over at the Fed-X offices...

You do not have to build wood boxes or crates to insure safe delivery. You have to match the containers to the weight and value of the product being shipped. But, take this into consideration. How do you want your client to perceive you when this package arrives? This is an extremely expensive firearm and the shipping should represent you and the value of that firearm.

Sorry for the length...

Best.

charliemeyer007,

quote:Wow they must have hired the savage baggage handler's from the airlines. You know those guys that know the answer to the question, from what height must a crate of eggs be dropped to ensurer 90% breakage without apparent damage to the exterior of the crate.

The owner had connections with the Police Dept. so he asked the detectives for their opinions as what actually took place. After a couple of days of examination, they arrive at the conclusion that the whole package had been opened, box and case so that the contents could be examined for potentially being stolen. They were surprised at the value so they decided to just bash the stock and then repackage the whole mess as if nothing was amiss. It was insured after all.

We invited UPS to a meeting where these findings were presented, hoping to discuss the potential for malicious damage. They were having none of it because they were relieved from responsibility by the label. But they had the gall to ask about retaining some of the business they had thrown away in the first place. I've never heard one man yell so loudly and with so much profanity as the owner when they asked. He threw them out of the building and told them to never to come back without a check and an apology.

Best.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow they must have hired the savage baggage handler's from the airlines. You know those guys that know the answer to the question, from what height must a crate of eggs be dropped to ensurer 90% breakage without apparent damage to the exterior of the crate.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys it seems like no matter how you try there are pitfalls possible [:(!][:(]I might have to try that 2 day road trip
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Thanks guys it seems like no matter how you try there are pitfalls possible [:(!][:(]I might have to try that 2 day road trip

Well, pack it up like you are gong to mail it cause you know accidents happen. just sayin.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have yet to have any of the three major carriers pay up for a damaged shipment of any kind.