In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annodizing Firearm Parts

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
Are aluminum parts used in firearms soft or hard anodized. Or does it vary. Specifically Ruger grip frames and Colt 1911 light weight frames.

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anodizing-by it's nature is hard. An aluminum oxide "skin" is formed. The oxide can be dyed and then sealed.
    There is supposedly a harder anodizing version, but I'm not familiar with it.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I heard as well. I just don't know what was used on guns, I suspect the one you described but I have been wrong before. Thanks
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what Colt and Ruger use, but the mil spec for ARs is Type 3 anodizing which is the thickest and hardest. It is not readily dyed and shows up gray to black.
    Color coat (dyed) anodizing is usually type 2 as seen on the various pink pistols on the market.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All anodizing is the creation of a layer of hard aluminum oxide (think grinding wheel) on the surface of the softer aluminum. But the porosity of the layer depends on how it was created. For example, if a sulfuric acid bath was used during the formation, the layer will be much less porous than if phosphoric acid was used. More porous layers hold coatings better, and less porous ones wear better.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are thinking of having gun parts redone be sure and check first as not all places with touch gun parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Griffin and Howe type scope mount by Paul Jaeger that about one half needed to be redone. I finally gave up on Anodizing because no one wants to do a small job just commercial applications. Took it to a fella and he had five or six colors of black for powder coating. For $30 he matched it perfect and it is still going strong. Have had Model 70 pre64 FW floor plates and was less trouble to buy NOS than have repaired before I met this fella. Word of caution, powder coating will fill in and ruin small lettering.