In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RIA 22 magnum

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
rock island armory's pistol has been touted for about 3 years now and even full page ad in Dec 2016 Guns ...???? no one to be found ..anyone have a clue, or is this one silently disappeared ???? thanx....had the GRENDEL, AMT, and some revolvers but do not want a plastic one in 22 mag...have the RIA this style in 22lr and it is OK

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vaporware is what the computer folks, call this kind of stuff. That is announced by manufacturers, but never sees the light of day.

This subject, regarding the RIA 22 MAG. Has been addressed in this forum. A number of times, over the last 2/3 years.

IMHO, RIA can't get it working reliably enough on the 1911 platform. To bring it to market.

If you want a new .22 mag pistol with a steel frame. I have heard, that High Standard Houston. Who owns the rights to produce AMT handguns. Have gone back into limited production, of the .22 mag pistols.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the "EXCEL" 22 magnum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thought about the Excel but would like to hands on first..think the rifle is neat...i need another as i have 3 new mag rifles i have not even shot yet... yeah ..i know
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both barrel lengths of the EXCEl. Really like the 8 incher. Better than the AMT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excel might be OK as a rifle. As a pistol doesn't make it,IMHO. Reminds me size and weight wise, of the 357 Desert Eagle I use to own.

If you can get a 22 mag pistol, size and weight wise. Like the AMT clone, or the PMR 30. Why would you get a clunker like the Excel.

Don't know if its true or not? But heard that the Excel folks, have chambered some of their pistols. For the FN 5.7mm cartridge. Might be more viable, than the 22 Mag?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy that likes 22 Mag. He has had several autoloading pistols, none of them I would bet my life on. I refuse to work on them - "it's your pistol - fix it yourself"; but to help him out I have offered advise on what to do. I think the latest is that 30 round unit.

That 5.7 looks more interesting as at least I could reload for it.

I still like my 22 Jet Model 53 S&W, the actual 22 Magnum pistol. Would love to have a 22 Newton that was in .224 not .228
  • Options
    edited November -1
    S&W 48-4 22mag 8-3/8" my primo pistol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    S&W 48-4 22mag 8-3/8" my primo pistol

If a 8 3/8", 22 mag, on a "K" frame, is one of your favorites. I'll eat my words. One of those big honking Elcel's, would be right up your ally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    had the AMT ...needed to clean the chamber every time shot to keep the ports clean and the rear sight was stuck there waiting to get bent...the grendel 30 rd, neat but the long thin firing pin would break at the square cut shoulder and u never knew when...pmr, don't want a plastic gun.....
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "spasmcreek" - with the Grendel - Bennie Watson at "The Gun Shop" near Branford, Florida makes new firing pins and they won't break. 386-935-9375 or 386-854-0181

Best Regards - AQH