In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

V springs percussion pistols

derbuckderbuck Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple of Belgian pistols ( drop down triggers )That the V springs ( with rectangle slots on bottom ) are like stone.. Is there any way to put the spring back to normal?? If not,, other then making springs ( I'm not experienced enough,, yet ) Can they be purchased anywhere ?? I will appreciate any help.. Thanks.. Derbuck

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The springs now in the guns are probably not original. Just stuck in for cosmetic purposes. To make the pistols salable. The original 19th Century springs, got broken year ago.

These guns were individually assembled, by skilled gunsmiths who hand fit the parts. Very unlikely IMHO, your going to find a off the shelf V spring. That will be, a drop in fit.

Might try Dixie Gunworks, they use to carry a lot of older BP parts and accessories.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What V springs are you referring to - the small trigger springs or the large mainspring? A spring can be retempered. Small v springs can be made from a hacksaw blade. Read up on spring making and tempering. Not rocket science but does require some knowledge of heating and tempering metal.
    Sometimes small trigger V springs can be replaced with modern coil springs, if it can be held in place.
    If you look in the Dixie catalog you will see a Mainspring Compressor for V mainsprings. Very useful to have. Visegrips will work but do not overcompress or you may break it due to the shorter gripping location.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no reason for springs to get harder.
    They don't get harder with age.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some good pic's. It's a lot easier to modify to spring than to make one from scratch. Perhaps yours were just rough fit and need thinned in order to work.

Spring making is a black art IMHO.

added Glad to hear the Dixie catalog still has parts.

Thinning is best done slowly with like a needle files, a Dremel tool will work but you risk drawing the temper because it is easy to over heat the steel.
    Flickr still has free photo hosting.

Pic posting directions
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    derbuckderbuck Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You for your replies
    I'm learning and any info is appreciated..
    I don't seem to be able to figure out how to load a photo
    but I will work on it
    The spring is for the hammer..
    I like the idea of trimming the spring down..
    I used to repair woodwind musical instruments and I never had
    a spring get so hard it stopped working but these were small in
    comparison.. These V springs are hard to bend in a vise..
    No less compress them to put the pistol back together..
    I bought the Dixie works catalog ( $5 )
    They offer 1000 X's more then their internet site..
    So I'll keep reading..
    Let me know of any ideas when I post the photo,,
    Thanks Again
    Derbuck
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    derbuck,

A good picture(s) can be a great help in getting the best information.

Without pictures, you might also try Track of the Wolf:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "These V springs are hard to bend in a vise..
    No less compress them to put the pistol back together.."........they need to be this strong for the gun to work properly, they usually have very little movement. they do make a special main spring vise to compress them, check with Brownells or Dixie.