In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bersa Thunder .380 Questions

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
The short of it is I purchased the wife a Bersa Thunder .380 for her for Christmas. (Got one for myself too!) This is her first real attempt to learn about firearms. I purchased them for CC for both of us. My wife is physically not very fit. She has very weak arms and a really bad right shoulder and can't rack the slide. We tried it a lot of different ways like the mag being in, out, half cocked etc. Spoke to several people on it and the consensus was to shorten the recoil spring and to refit the slide to the frame with smoother contact points.

I've already checked into trading in on different makes and models. Really don't want to go that route if possible because of the loss and the cost associated with it.

Any suggestions etc appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on choosing a semi-auto with a decocking safety for concealed carry. A striker fired gun with no real safety bouncing around in a woman's purse is a problem waiting to happen.

Modifying the recoil spring on any handgun can lead to malfunctions and lack of reliability. Any .380 is already at the low end of the defensive caliber list. You don't want to add reduced reliability to that. A CC weapon's first job is to go "bang" when needed.

If your wife can handle the DA trigger pull of the Bersa when the hammer is down, have you considered replacing it with a light weight DA revolver? Revolvers are out of fashion with Hollywood, but they are still top notch CC weapons.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your wife has not seen this, take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2rMXpw6c0
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Mike, but I don't see any easy way out of this situation.

You may be fine with a Bersa, but it's a terrible choice for your wife. ANY auto is a no-go unless you have a LOT of training &/or experience with guns. An inexperienced shooter, faced with an assailant, will likely experience "brain freeze" & end up a victim. Strength problems make the situation even worse.

I think that the best choice for an inexperienced shooter is a J-frame Smith revolver with 2" barrel. A Ladysmith is best. Your gunsmith can install a Woolf spring kit, smooth the action, change a narrow trigger to a wide one if needed, & fit oversize grips; that's what I did. Target Wadcutters probably have the lowest recoil of factory .38 spec ammo.

And, your wife needs a belt or pocket holster. A purse is probably the worst way for a woman to carry a gun; the first thing a perp will do is snatch her purse.

I know, you didn't want to hear that you need to spend more money. But, carrying a gun she can't use is not going to protect your wife.

Neal
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First I would get her to do some strength training. A few weeks of proper training should help. There is a plastic gizmo powered by rubber bands (adjustable) to strengthen fingers/grip. She can work out with the empty pistol. Holding it a arms length until she is tired - rest, repeat. Hold it and do curls - switch arms. Perhaps some light dumbbells or other weights.

I love my model 60 S&W j-frame. My sis has a LadySmith in 357. Not a lot of fun to shoot with full power loads.

It might be possible to slick up the Bersa somewhat. Stoning the working surfaces helps without causing other issues. Lightening the recoil spring requires evaluation for function and hammering the frame etc, likely not a DIY project. Ask your local gunsmith.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, there is one auto that is a possibility. The Walther CCP is a 9mm that uses a gas pressure locking system similar to the old H&K P-7. The recoil spring is very light and it has a manual safety that operates like a 1911 (press down to fire). I know this doesn't save you from the costs you wanted to avoid, but it is a possibility.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Revolver in 9mm or .38 special.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    revolvers without real bite...charter arms undercoverette in 32 mag, taurus is making a small 380 revolver(have no info good/bad), S&W and others double action that take only one hand to wind up
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found the Ruger LCR trigger lighter than my S&W j-frames if you go the wheelgun route.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Krony
    I have found the Ruger LCR trigger lighter than my S&W j-frames if you go the wheelgun route.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry. Technical difficulties. I have both Ruger LC9 and LCR. Even though the LCR has a real long trigger pull I don't like it. (And if anybody can screw something like this up it's my bride.) I want something with a manual safety. I have a LC9-S with the manual safety. Had the 2 other versions that only had the trigger safety. I traded in both that had only the trigger safety. I'm 65 years old and been around firearms since I've been about 9. I've only had two accidental misfires. One when I was a teenager and the other about a year ago - in my kitchen - somehow did NOT realize it was cocked and in battery. I'm lucky it didn't hit my wife who was in the bathroom off the kitchen and/or our 2 pups that were in the kitchen with me. Not to mention myself. Got rid of my Glock after that little incident and really thinking about getting rid of the LCR.

I think we may be going the Lady Smith route. I have a Taurus 617 revolver. She can double action the trigger on it - with a bit of difficulty. My concern is that it is really heavy - especially for her. (I have a 617-S for one of my cc pistols. It's lighter but it is one of my favorites too.

Anyway group thanks for all of your suggestions etc as they are much appreciated!