In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 63

laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
bought a 63 today, very pleased with what i got. serial number 115787a dob appears to be 1953. it is drilled and tapped for a scope mount on the left side of the receiver, two holes that are one and five eights inches apart and on a line with the two factory screws in the receive. was this a common mount location and would it be possible to find one today, if so what am i looking for?

thanks all

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    DID THEY SELL THIS AUTO WITH A LEFT HAND SHELL DEFLECTOR
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine who doesn't own a computer owns the above with a barrel stamp ".22 High Speed". Does this gun require a special .22 round, or will it fire a standard .22 LR round?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone help give DOM on a winchester 63. Grandpa just gave it to me for Christmas. It was my great grandpa's. Ser # 138436. It looks to be all original in about 90%

Thanks
    jarrod
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good evening, I am new on the forum. I purchased this engraved winchester 63. I am trying to find out who engraved this gun? This gun was made in 1958, if that helps any. It is beautiful and i would like to learn more about it.. Thank You, Steve
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The caliber is .22 Long Rifle. There is no "special round."

The Winchester Model 63 (and 61 pump) came out when WW introduced Winchester Super X and Western Superspeed .22 LR high velocity. They were very proud of the combination and the guns were clearly marked.

I would expect it to shoot fresh standard velocity, it will surely run well on high velocity like Mini Mags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. As I suspected
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are nice rifles, one of the few autoloaders I really liked.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/longgun_reviews_st_winchester63_200810/

Added I have never seen a 63 in other than 22 LR. I'm hoping for Burt to enlighten us.

As a dumb kid I can tell you the 1903 22 Auto will work for a while on 22 LR, until it brakes.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine runs great on mini-mags, and just about any other high velocity .22 LR ammo I feed it, once I cleaned the gunk out of it and lubed it. Nice gun, all steel and walnut, like it a lot.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so you are aware, those rifles were not just made in 22LR. They were also made in 22 WRF, which is not a 22 LR, by any means. The rifle could be marked 22 Auto.
  • Options
    4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim clarify your post. .22 WRF is NOT .22Auto. They are different rounds.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so you are aware, if it is a .22 Winchester Automatic, it is a Model of 1903, not a Model 63.

I think it was Henry Stebbins who wrote that the first production run of Super X High Velocity was notably hot. Made for the strong steel Winchester 61 and 63, they toned it down for safety in other makes and models.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Just so you are aware, if it is a .22 Winchester Automatic, it is a Model of 1903, not a Model 63.

I think it was Henry Stebbins who wrote that the first production run of Super X High Velocity was notably hot. Made for the strong steel Winchester 61 and 63, they toned it down for safety in other makes and models.

Yes, my mistake/bad. The rifles are similar in appearance. Just wanted to make the poster aware that some of the rifles that look like it are chambered in 22 Auto.