In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Parts Recommendations Wanted

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a recent manufacture Remington stainless 1911. Other than the rear sight which will be swapped out with an adjustable sight an extended slide release, the gun is original. Thinking about adding a muzzle brake.

What parts would you recommend as spares for those that wear out or go boing and are lost?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Magazine.

Already have 4.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO you need at least 5 fully functional magazines for anything that uses them.

A full pin set is good. I would add a hammer and sear, a full strength(+) recoil spring and the 3 fingered one, spare fitted extractor to your list.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL REAR SIGHT. And, it wouldn't hurt to get an extra of both front & rear sights. Nice to have another set of original grips, too.

Neal
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Slide release/stop and thumb safety spring and plungers,,,,,,,those little buggers are escape artists,,,[:o)]

In fact a complete 'pin' set can be handy,,,,, get quality ones.

Forge - have you ever seen the Bob Day mod to the TSS? He used a pair of 'Nippers' or 'End cut pliers' to put a 'kink' in the spring. W/ that mod the spring is captured in the spring tube and effort is needed to remove it.

I found the 'mod' in this book: The Gun Digest Book of Pistolsmithing