In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert HELP!!!

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
Sir I have a model 52 S/N 103334C. Does the C sufix mean a 52C made in 1961? Number on the bottom of the Bull Barrel (measures 7/8" at the muzzle and is 28" long) is 7991 should this match the receiver number and should there be any other matching numbers? I bought this rifle out of Mass. a few years back and it has been set up as like an International Match rifle. The stock has the forend rail and adjustable metal but plate. It is a single shot.The trigger is amazing but it is unmarked as far as I can see.
This gun was in a nice home made wood cary case in a small shop near Framingham, Mass. along with a BSA Martini International Match 22 rifle also in a wooden case. I did not buy the BSA. Can anyone identify the trigger?? Thank you Sir!!
Tye8tyym.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sounds like an older small bore match shooter owned the guns
    nice find[^] both can bring good money
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More pics of gun and case needed

I have a similar super rare and modified one in a wood case

Special heavy bull bbl with no taper and flat muzzle crown

I may be helpful be need detailed pics

Please

Mike
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, let me set the premise for my follow-on response... I am not overly familiar with the Winchester Model 52, and all of its many nuances.

In answer to your first question, Yes, the "C" suffix on the serial number indicates that it is a "52C". The serial number records for the Model 52 that I researched ended at 74145, which was July 26th, 1949. Serial number 103334C could have been manufactured in 1961, but there is no way to verify it.

I have no idea what the number "7991" signifies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Sir.
  • Options
    seewinseewin Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is a late "C" model,most likely made in 1959 or 60. I maintain a database on these models, and the last C s/n I have is 105129C, and D production started in 1961. There were only about 1000 rifles shipped in 1960, so doing the math, yours was most likely a 1959 rifle.
    The trigger is interesting. It is definitely an aftermarket trigger. I have a fairly extensive collection of aftermarket 52 triggers, but have never seen the one on your rifle. Adjustments are similar to Kenyon, however body/shoe differ significantly. Could you post or email me more pictures of it? Any markings on it? Karl Kenyon always stamped his name on the side of his triggers, as did most other custom manufacturers.
    In regards to the number on the barrel, where is it located? Winchester would stamp the bottom of barrel with a number when rifles were returned for service or repair. This is possibly the case with yours.
    Also, you mention "Bull Barrel" for your rifle. The true Bull Barrels measured 1-1/8" diameter at receiver and 7/8" at muzzle. The more common heavy weight models measured 1" diameter at receiver and 7/8" at muzzle. The standard weight barrels measure 1" at receiver and slightly under 3/4" at muzzle. All 52 target rifle barrels were 28" long.
    Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    seewin thank you for your reply. Please shoot me an email at shooterschoice@att.net and I will send more photos. Again thank you, Ricci.