In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30tc

IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
can a 30tc be rechamberd to 308win ?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IN gunsmith,

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is yes but there will have to be a significant set back of the thread tenon in order to have the narrower shoulder of the .308 go deep enough to clean up the chamber.

The T/C shoulder is 0.464" while the .308 is 0.454".

Best.
  • IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
    edited November -1
    this is on a tc encore barrel
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make it a 30-06 Ackley improved
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IN gunsmith,

Then the answer is definitive no.

There is no provision for set back on the T/C Encore barrels and the standard .308 reamer will not clean up the .30 T/C chamber at headspace.

You can use the suggested .30-06 Improved which will push past the shoulder diameter as Charlie suggests or use another great cartridge like the .30-284 which will stay as a short chamber but clean up the entire .30 T/C completely from the start. This is a .284 Win. cartridge necked up to .30 caliber. It can be reloaded to work as a .308 up though nearly light magnum performance, depending on the powder and bullet combination.

Best.
  • IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
    edited November -1
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I would have to ask the question, why not stick with the 30 TC? It is efficient, accurate, and when loaded properly equals or exceeds 30-06 performance. The brass is still available, as well as loaded ammunition.

I purchased 4 of the very first high grade wood ICON's a few years back on fire sale for $399.99 each from CDNN. One is for me, two are in the hands of a couple young men that I love to teach the ways of the outdoors, and one is in a safe place for a soon to be 4 year old, that I will be an ambassador for when he is mature enough to use it.

So the simple question, is why?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "So the simple question, is why?"

Most likely due to ammo availability and cost.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not sell the 30TC barrel and buy a .308Win barrel?