In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Commando pistol question

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt Commando .38 special pistol. When I type the serial number in on the bottom of the frame, under the grips on the serial number look up site. It says 1942 Colt Commando. The serial number you see when you open the cylinder says 1941 Official Police Model (continued army special serials). From what I understand the commando was just an official police model pulled off the line, and had a different finish. And that some of the parts where interchanged. Would my pistol be considered a mis-matched parts gun. Or was this commonplace with this model.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the Colt Commando's that I'm familiar with, had the serial number on the frame. Visible when the cylinder has been opened. Underneath, what is called the crane. Such as the one in the below photo.

If you have two different serial numbers on the frame, it would be quite unusual.

The Smith & Wesson "Victory Model" revolvers, which were made in much greater quantity during the war. Were serial numbered on the bottom of the frame.

Commando_2896f.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about Colt Commando, but M1917 Colts had a factory serial number and a separate Army property number. Worth checking up on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Most of the Colt Commando's that I'm familiar with, had the serial number on the frame. Visible when the cylinder has been opened. Underneath, what is called the crane. Such as the one in the below photo.

If you have two different serial numbers on the frame, it would be quite unusual.

The Smith & Wesson "Victory Model" revolvers, which were made in much greater quantity during the war. Were serial numbered on the bottom of the frame.

Commando_2896f.jpg

[/quote

The serial number that is on the crane comes back to the 1941 police positive. And says continuation of military serials. There is also a serial number on the very bottom of the grip. It comes back to a 1942 colt commando. I've read that they interchanged parts on some. Was basically the same gun. Just no high finish and a few other cost cutting differences. I believe it left the factory as it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your revolver is quite unique. Having 2 different serial numbers, on the frame of same gun. Production of the Commando's started in 1942. With there own serial number range. Does yours have a low serial number?

The Victory Model Smiths, I referred to earlier. Had multiple serial numbers. But they were the same, and located on different individual parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Serial number on the frame is in the 10,000 range. I read that it wasn't uncommon for this to happen. They used official police parts to complete the commandos. And like I said. if you search the serial number on the crane. it comes back as an official police model. But in parenthesis says continued army special serials. I wonder if it would be beneficial to get a letter from colt. Its not a mint condition pistol. But is very interesting. They only made a little over 50,000 of these. My guess is when mine was made. they were still using left over parts from the official police models. and was just using what they had to put a revolver together.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    Serial number on the frame is in the 10,000 range. I read that it wasn't uncommon for this to happen. They used official police parts to complete the commandos. And like I said. if you search the serial number on the crane. it comes back as an official police model. But in parenthesis says continued army special serials. I wonder if it would be beneficial to get a letter from colt. Its not a mint condition pistol. But is very interesting. They only made a little over 50,000 of these. My guess is when mine was made. they were still using left over parts from the official police models. and was just using what they had to put a revolver together.

Wouldn't have thought, it would have been in the 10.000 range. With two entirely different serial numbers, on the frame. Must have been a OP frame, that was forgotten about at the bottom of the parts bin.

My take on you Colt, is that potentially. It would be of great interest to a Colt collector. And have substantial value. Getting a Colt letter, would only enhance the value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman

Wouldn't have thought, it would have been in the 10.000 range. With two entirely different serial numbers, on the frame. Must have been a OP frame, that was forgotten about at the bottom of the parts bin.

My take on you Colt, is that potentially. It would be of great interest to a Colt collector. And have substantial value. Getting a Colt letter, would only enhance the value.

Thanks for the comments. Its just kind of an odd pistol all the way around. Like I said earlier. Its definitely not a mint example. Its been shot some. Actually has a very good action. The double action trigger is very smooth. And has a very crisp break in single action mode. I think I will do the Colt letter. Ill keep trying to figure it out. And I agree with what you said about the serial number. I would have thought if parts would have been interchanged. It would have been with very low serial number guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow. I sent off for a colt letter. will be interested to find out what it says. and I'm starting to wonder if the number on the bottom of the frame is a serial number. I can find no place that says there is one there. the number is 10099. and on the colt look up site. it comes back to a 1942 commando. and when I say bottom of frame. I mean very bottom on the grip.