In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 25-2 45 Cal. Model 1955

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Is this gun 45 ACP or 45 LC?

I have used moon clips from my 625 and they work fine, so I think it is 45 ACP, but I am wondering what you guys think.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    one way to tell is try a 45 long colt if it will chamber in the cylinder then the pistol is for that shell45 colt not 45acpthe case is very different between the two
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 25-5 which was my first really good pistol and it was 45 Colt. The cylinder is very thin in the bolt notch so stick to regular factory loads - it will not stand magnum loads.

All the other 25's were 45 ACP with a clip or 45 AutoRim

added You can learn something new everyday here. Yes the 125 A S&W 25-3 did come in 45 C.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A M25-2 is .45 ACP/AR. Unless somebody has been messing with it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several model 25's. A couple are marked in the right side of the barrel 45 caliber model of 1955 and no specific ACP or LC marking.

An easy way to tell is open the cylinder and look down the charge holes. In the ACP cylinders there is a distinctive rim visible in the holes. The .45 Colt cylinders do not have the visible rims.

If your moon clips work then it is chambered for ACP ammo. Also, the .45 colt cylinders are visibly longer than the ACP cylinders.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a little light on details, but newer Smith revolvers in 45 ACP take different "moon clips" than the 1917s and Model 25s and earlier 625s. About 20 years ago I had a 5" lugged barrel 625 and it used the same as the 1917, 1955s. Newer 625s, 325s use a different extractor star (no pins) and a different clip.
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi...I have a model 25-3 125th anniversary model in .45LC. I fitted a new 45ACP cylinder to it, so it now can shoot .45LC, .45ACP with moon clips, and .45AR. I distinguish the new cylinder with a stainless ejector rod. Certainly a fun piece to shoot. BT
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely a 45acp. They didn't produce many in Colt until the 25-3 125th anniversary model came out in 1977. Cylinder length on the acp is 1.53", and 1.67" in 45 colt. Does your serial number start with an S or an N? If it starts with an S then it should have diamonds around the grip screw if they are factory original grips. N serial numbers started in 1969. S prefixed serial numbers are more highly sought after by collectors. If it's marked "45 cal. model of 1955" then it's acp unless it has been modified. Later ones were marked ".45 Colt CTG".