In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help, sks handguard removal problem

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to remove the handguard on my sks. I have to remove a pin that goes through the gas cylinder. The pin is larger on one end than the other, it only comes out one way. The problem is I can't tell which head of the pin is bigger. They both look slightly deformed, and are very hard to see. Is there a defaut way this pin comes out? If looking down the barrel, does it come out from right to left, or left to right? I thought I would ask here, before I drill it out.

Rameleni1

Comments

• kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always just used a punch to push it out from the side that appeared to be the smallest ... used a 1/4" socket to support the end of the cylinder, never had any problems ... sorry, but its been so long since I've done it I don't remember which side it was.

=================================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually one side will be beat up a little more so go that way. If you're really handy with a dremel, you can cut a little of the spread end off before you drive it out. I usually end up setting them back in with locktite when I replace them.

Mobuck