In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bluing?

HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Can anybody suggest a good product for touching-up scratches on bluing? Thanks! Hunter

Comments

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Wonder from Midway or Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.

ATF
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried Birchwood-Casey Super Blue yesterday on a Slide and it looks all screwed up.

And I even read the instructions first.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a couple of products get Blue Wonder,I got mine from [www.thefiringpin.com]They ship fast.The Birchwood Casy brand is miles behind BlueWonder.BW does not stick to factory blueing so you don't have to worry about damaging the finish.I recently Reblued a P-38 and it looks good,and touched up the barrel on a Mossberg pump.The instructions say to heat up the metal,don't use a torch like is suggested by some.Use a good hair drier set on high.Get the gun cleaner it is great.Only complaint is I got the large size kit,and it is suppose to do 4-6 complete pistols but only had enough in it to complete the above projects.CW

1.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!

2.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!
  • HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Cwatson,How good does Blue Wonder blend in with the factory blueing?I have only a few small spots i will need to touch-up.Thanks...Hunter
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It blends fine.If you don't put enough on the first time around it looks like the edges are a little worn,like light holster wear.Remember to shake the bottle alot.The Mossberg barrel I did had the blueing was worn and scuffed.I can't make out the line between old and new blue.Be sure to get the cleaner too.CW

1.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!

2.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!
  • HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok!I will be placing a order for Blue Wonder & Cleaner.Thanks again for your help. Hunter