In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping Ammo ??

RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I would like to sell some ammo I have. My question is by who can I ship it by {UPS, USPS, Etc.}, & what would it aprox. cost ?? I see some of these Hazard Shipping charges around $60.00 is that what it might cost ? I've put off selling the ammo so far because of the price to ship it. I tried reading Gunbrokers Help on this & I still confused. Any help, THANKS RAT.

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Ammo is not HazMat so no fee for that. It can be shipped UPS but it must go ground and be marked "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition". Hope this helps.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Will270win@nraonline.com
  • RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS FOR THE INFO WILL, BOB
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless state or local regulations / laws specify otherwise, you may ship ammo within the continental US w/o an FFL (don't need it for AK or HI, but see below) to another party who does not have an FFL. Be aware that some jurisdictions have stringent restrictions on the types & calibers of ammo which may be received (particularly military surplus loadings); check with the ATF website to determine if this foolish PC nonsense applies to you or the recipient. Live ammo may *only* be shipped by common carrier (i.e.: UPS, FedEx) by *ground* transport. No 'hazmat' penalties apply; however, the container must be marked on two sides "ORM-D (short for "Other Regulated Material - class D") Small Arms Ammunition." It is illegal to ship by USPS (Postal regs, Pub 52, Section 341.21c). You can only ship from your place of business - which can be your home under the regs - or from the carrier's terminal. Be aware that both of the common carriers apparently give the terminal managers wide latitude in accepting / rejecting packages, so a UPS location in your area may refuse to accept a package while FedEx will, or vice versa. If you are frustrated by the locals, a call to the national customer service center with a request for them to contact the local terminal will usually - but not always - resolve the problem. Cost varies by weight, distance and recipient. In reference to the latter, there are surcharges for residential deliveries and deliveries to 'rural' zip codes. These charges are front-end loaded, so shipping a ten pound package will often cost less than twice the charges on a one pound package. On small items, cost typically runs $5 to $8. FedEx Ground is usually cheaper than UPS, but their drivers have much more difficulty with rural addresses and institutionally, FedEx doesn't seem to make as much - often much less - effort to make the delivery.