In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1865 Springfield

ejh2117ejh2117 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Any idea what a 1865 Springfield is worth? I'm interested in selling it and I'm uncertain what its worth. Its in reasonably good condition, has two bands, a trap door for cartridges, a ram rod, leather sling. The trigger has a very weak spring in it. Eveything appears to be original except for a pin missing that holds the leather strap to the forward part of the gun stock.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    you have what sounds like a allen conversion (trap door) of a springfield musket, probably in .50/70 cal. you need a lot more information (pictures?) to come up with even an approximate price.
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot does depend on over all condition ,and original condition ,from the ram rod ,to barrel length ,if it does have the trap door that's ok too ,if is is a cut barrel ,that's ok too ,don't let anyone beat you down on a price ,remember after the war a lot of people made conversions of these guns ,but the conversion was still done in the 1800's

I have seen them with cracked stocks go for a few hundred dollars ,to "in the white" for 4,500 bucks

dhs-advisory-elevated.gif
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Afternoon ejh,
    Sounds like you own a Model 1865 Springfield which
    was the first "Allin" conversion. The cartridge was
    actually a .58 rimfire. Lockplate should be dated 1865.
    Original condition is everything. You may wish to visit:
    www.trapdoors.com and the trapdoor forum@ www.jouster.com
    The .50/70 was introduced in the 1866 Trapdoor.
    Best of luck, 101
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, so where can I post pictures of it. I have a digital camera that takes pretty sharp photos.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ejh2117
    OK the pictures are not the sharp but here they are. Hope this helps

Flayderman "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms" notes that MOST of these "Two-Band" Model 1865 Allin Conversion Rifles were converted late in the 19th Century by surplus arms dealers, to make them more saleable on the civilian market.

Because of the above, it would probably be best to get a hands-on appraisal from a knowledgeable/honest collector or dealer.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ejh,
    From your pictures-which are difficult to view-
    The breachblock appears to be an 1866-not 1865.
    Also the rod is not 1865 but appears to be 1866.
    Some would call this a "Cadet Rifle" being a two bander
    but Cadet Rifles "usually" do not have sling swivels.
    Check the numbers again.
    Charlie-both the Model 1865 and 1866 rifles were three banders
    in original full length configuration.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    ejh,

Photos are not the best, but a few observations: what you are calling a ram rod is in fact the cleaning rod. No need for a ram rod on a cartridge loading rifle. The overall condition is not that good (again from the poor photos.) I agree that it is a "cadet model" as it is too short to be rifle. The rifles also have two bands so you can't go by that.

The sling alone is worth money as it appears to be the original.

Waiting for more info.............

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgdd.art
    Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll try and get better photos. I took those at night andd its difficult to take photos with such poor lighting. But there is no question, the plate has the number 1865 stamped on it. Its unmistakeable. It has an eagle engraved in it on the same side as well as the word SPRINGFIELD. You have to look closely to find the eagle and SPRINGFIELD which indicates wear. The sling I believe is original. I hate to moving the gun too much because the sling keeps flaking.