In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard of today

idahogunbrokeridahogunbroker Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Just curious why I don't see any of the High Standard 22 Pistols listed for sale. Are they not as good as the older ones??

Please advise
Bill Butler

Comments

• Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that High Standard has been out of business for a long time, and the new company is High Standard in name only, and is a very small company, unlike the original.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahogunbroker
    Just curious why I don't see any of the High Standard 22 Pistols listed for sale. Are they not as good as the older ones??

Please advise
    Bill Butler

These are two separate issues.

1. How good are the new High Standard guns? and
    2. Why do I not see any listed for sale.

To answer them as best as I can, I think most observers think that the quality of High Standard guns was as good at it ever has been in the original factory in Hamden Ct, and the quality went progressively down with each subsequent move or reorganization.

If you are interested in the original High Standard quality, then you're probably best off just buying an original gun. There are still plenty of them around, and the prices on them appear to be going in only one direction (ie UP). As the more than happy owner of one (its my favorite pistol, period), I don't think you'll regret buying a used one as a "shooter".

I'm hardly a "match" shooter, but I think this speaks for itself. Its a legitimate one handed slow fire group at 50' with cheap (but now discontinued) Federal 714 Target ammo.
    highstandardsept05.jpg?t=1283345660

Question two, why don't you see them for sale? These probably do come up from time to time, but my guess is just that the Houston Texas based company is just putting out guns in much smaller numbers. Since these newer guns cost roughly the same as the older CT guns, I can't imagine all that much demand for them. I think most of the companies business is in tuning up and servicing older guns.

The new High Standard isn't exactly "name only" since it does have the original tooling and rights to use the designs. One of the older High Standard master gunsmiths, Bob Shea, did (or maybe still does) work for the new company.
  • Options
    zeepoolzeepool Member Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one on GB for sale. Here it is. It's been on here for 7 days and has a couple of days left before it's gone!.. It's a nice gun. 187881367
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zeepool,
    Easier for everybody if you post a link.
    Here it is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187881367
  • Options
    zeepoolzeepool Member Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jamesjo
    zeepool,
    Easier for everybody if you post a link.
    Here it is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187881367

Yes, good idea jamesjo. Thanks! My gun is not the only HS .22 pistol for sale on GB. Just responding to the original poster who said none were for sale? Plus there are only old ones. HS is no longer in business and there are no new High Standards for sale?
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard is in business.
    They are now High Standard Houston.
    They bought the rights, and they are producing pistols.
    They also have the AMT line.
    I bought one of the NEW, AMT Automag 22 magnums.
    A little trouble at first.
    Once broken in though, I am very happy with it, nice factory Pachmayr grips, much nicer piece than any of the California pieces, IMO.

High Standard built AMT Automag II
    2007 manufacture

dscn16572.jpg