In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Antique S&W question

Lonewolf77Lonewolf77 Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am wondering about manufacturing date of a S&W 2nd.model SA .38 serial #90370, Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    According to the Third Catalog of Smith & Wesson, there where only 77,155 2nd models built, serial numbers running from 1 through 77,155. Maybe, what you have is not a second model.
    W.D.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to "Flayderman's Guide". The 2nd Model, 38 Single Action. Was made between 1877 & 1891. S.N. range 1-108,255. 90,307 would be towards the end of the production run. My WAG, late 1880's?
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flayderman's information agrees with Neal & Jinks book, which is probably where Norm got his data. You might try calling S&W and asking to speak to the historian. I find that S&W is often MUCH more helpful on these matters than the keepers of the data for Colt and Winchester are.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    Flayderman's information agrees with Neal & Jinks book, which is probably where Norm got his data. You might try calling S&W and asking to speak to the historian. I find that S&W is often MUCH more helpful on these matters than the keepers of the data for Colt and Winchester are.

You could be correct about S&W, but not Winchester. I know for a fact that the 4th Edition of the Red Book of Winchester, will be out very soon, if it is not already. The numbers in those books are very comprehensive...oh and yes...co-authored by a forum member!