In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi M713 vs. M972

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
[:D]Howdy everyone!,

I just got off the phone with Albuquerque and they had SNOW!! And I live in Iowa...no snow yet! To be exact, I live near Winterset, Ia. Did you know we're the birth town of John Wayne!? AND we have a brand new museum to boot. Plan your next year vacation...

On to my question. I'm waiting on my Rossi M713 .357mag in stainless steel with full underlug and non-fluted cylinder. Is this model actually the M972 with a high polished facelift?? I want wood grips for the 713 but wading through all the confusion on the net about grip size etc. gave me a migraine! I just want some S&W style oversize checkered grips. Has anyone solved this mystery of the decade??

Thanks for any help!
Jim
GunHawk on GunBroker and eBay

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back when I was in the gun biz. Rossi's were entry level discount guns. That we blew out in sales, bout every month. They definitely weren't quality guns. Just something to have on the nightstand. In case something went bump in the night.

I heard that Taurus bought them out, like 10 years ago. Unless you'he payed for it already. I would save your shekels, to get something way better. I would have second thoughts about durability and workmanship, from any Rossi from my personal experience.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure that Jim knows that it isn't going to be as good as a new S&W, but a Rossi will likely be half the price.

I don't know that there's any mystery about Rossi grips. While early Rossi revolvers were close copies of S&W's, they now are so different that I doubt that any parts will interchange. You may have a difficult time finding aftermarket accessories, but there are wood grips on Amazon that may work if you are handy with a Dremel tool. Or, you may have luck at Brownell's.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be asking Rossi. +1 for maybe a S&W grip conversion. Perhaps go the local gun store and see if a J, K, L, or N frame seems close.

There are folks than could make wood grips. There is a modeling clay that you bake after you form the grip shape you want. They would use the hardened clay as the pattern in a pantograph.

I bought a Rossi copy of a S&W 36 back in the 90's. It was ok for the price. I worked it over and it was reasonably slick. I gave it to friend. She let it rust, which didn't add to its appearance. I cleaned it up and it was still functional.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Responding to above, the relationship between Rossi and Taurus is complicated, but the newer Rossi guns are made in a new facility that is a joint production with Taurus.

To answer the question, so far as I can tell Rossi m713 is the same gun as M972.

You might actually call Rossi and ask them this exact question.

I think finding nice wood grips for this is going to be difficult.

I've looked at all the usual sources and nobody seems to make aftermarket grips for Rossi medium frame revolvers. Again, I didn't see any replacement grips listed for sale on the Rossi website, but it can't hurt to ask them if they have any, or know of anyone who makes them. I would also ask them explicitly which OTHER models share the same grips, because I think that may make it easier to find ones that fit.

Hogue makes some nice aftermarket wood grips for Taurus medium frame revolvers, but I don't think their "monogrips" are going to fit Rossi guns.

My guess is if you want these, you'll probably have to have some custom made.

Rossi grip dimensions may be similar enough to Smith K-frame grips that you can alter a set of conventional Smith (or maybe Taurus) K-frame grips to work. Smith K frame grips are pretty common, and relatively inexpensive, so finding a set just to see if this is possible shouldn't be too hard.

======================================================================

Edit: Hey. . .maybe these will work:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewood-Rossi-Revolvers-Handgun-Handmade/dp/B00TBY9HVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447906027&sr=8-3&keywords=rossi+grips

This company does offer a few other models for Rossi guns, and the reviews say those required some extra fitting to work right. Still, probably worth a shot. Maybe talk to the maker first, to see what they'll do for you if the grips don't fit right.

Not checkered, but here is another lead, this maker in Thailand:
    http://suncrafts.com/wordpress/archives/2829

OK, this source claims the Pachmayr Rossi small frame grips fit fine on the model 971, which is the blued steel version of the 972: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/44277-rossi-971-grips-update-confirmed-pics.html

So if that's the case, maybe ANY small frame Rossi grips will fit the 972, and if so, that opens you up to other grip possibilities, including these Thai-made ones: http://www.amazon.com/Square-Revolver-Checkered-Handmade-Feelsogood/dp/B015KKJWKI?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B015KKJWKI

Again, probably worth a phone call to Rossi to work out which grip size/type you're after here.
  • Options
    GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the hard work and GREAT responses!

I'll be searching soon....hope I find a decent set of grips!

Thanks,
    Jim/GunHawk on GunBroker
  • Options
    plinkedplinked Member Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain Gunhawke
    Been trying to find a set of grips for this ( Interarms ) Rossi 720 [;)]
    [img][/img]100_6482_zps65f840fe.jpg
  • Options
    plinkedplinked Member Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well took a year of looking but finally found a pair on E-bay that was advertised to fit my 720 [:)]
    [img][/img]100_6612_zps11hfpx0g.jpg